Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: a/c recharge
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:52 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Guys-
Since I unfortunately can't locate my factory service manual, I'd like to know which port is the low side port for recharging the a/c system on my 318 Dart?
There are 3 ports, not two (?)

I tried to upload a photo but am not sure how to do it, so I'll describe where the ports are.

Looking down at the compressor from the top, one port is on the compressor itself on the left hand side.

Another is behind the compressor, attached to the end of a hose that goes into the back of the compressor.

The third port is to the right of the compressor, on a small metal drum shaped thing. I assume this is the accumulator. It has one hose that comes from the condenser and another hose that hooks up to the compressor.

I want to make sure, but I believe the port I want is the one behind the compressor, because it's in a hose between the compressor and the evaporator, which would be the low side.

If someone can tell me if I'm right I'd appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: a/c recharge
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:19 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
newport77 wrote:
Guys-
Since I unfortunately can't locate my factory service manual, I'd like to know which port is the low side port for recharging the a/c system on my 318 Dart?

I don't mean this to sound as snotty as it may sound to you, but if you do not know the answer to this question without having to ask, don't touch your A/C system. You will injure yourself, probably severely, and damage your car, probably expensively.

BTW your guess is not correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:59 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I figure it is always better to ask and make sure if I don't have the book in front of me.
I have worked on other a/c systems on other cars, but it is not as obvious on this car which port is which.
I'll just get the service manual. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:00 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
newport77 wrote:
Guys-

I don't mean this to sound as snotty as it may sound to you, but if you do not know the answer to this question without having to ask, don't touch your A/C system. You will injure yourself, probably severely, and damage your car, probably expensively.

BTW your guess is not correct.

Come on Dan, I know you're looking out for his safety but how is someone supposed to learn how to work on an A/C system without asking questions? It's not something you're just born with. Either someone teaches you or you learn from a book. Telling him not to touch it just because he has to ask is like telling him he shouldn't learn how it works just because he doesn't already know how it works.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:45 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
ESP47 wrote:
Come on Dan, I know you're looking out for his safety but how is someone supposed to learn how to work on an A/C system without asking questions? It's not something you're just born with. Either someone teaches you or you learn from a book. Telling him not to touch it just because he has to ask is like telling him he shouldn't learn how it works just because he doesn't already know how it works.

You want to answer him? You answer him. I'm not. Books are a great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:43 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dan

I realize you have no idea of my background with cars, and I guess because of my question you're assuming I don't know what I'm doing.

I've been driving A body cars for about 20 years, and have been working on cars for about 15 years.

I went through the entire automotive program at my community college years ago, I just never went into this as a profession, I fix my own cars and friends cars on the side as a hobby.

I've worked on plenty of a/c systems, replaced compressors, recharged a/c systems for friends, etc, and have never injured myself working on an a/c system.

I've rebuilt 4 motors in my lifetime, two of which were slant 6s, and yes they ran for years after I was done.

I've rebuilt plenty of carburetors, even a GM THM-125 automatic transmission, which still works 70,000 miles later.
So I'm not exactly new to cars.

I've even recharged the a/c on THIS car, but it was 8 years ago.
I'm sorry that I forgot which port was which, and that it was a dumb question.

I moved recently, and I simply cannot find my service manual for the car.
I'll obviously go buy another if I can't find the one I had.

I certainly have no problem figuring this out for myself.

I just figured since you moderate this slant 6 board, then I presume that you must know more about these cars than I do. My experience is with a variety of cars, foreign and American, not just Mopars or A bodies, and I don't do this every day either.

You all seem to be into this, and I assume we all enjoy sharing our knowledge with one another. I certainly like to discuss things regarding cars in real life as well as online. I try to help people in the real world, and I ask for their help sometimes, too.

I will consider carefully again what I post to this message board, since the attitude seems to be if your question is perceived to be dumb, then you're an idiot.

Thanks anyway. I certainly won't be coming back to check to see if anyone's replied to this.
[/i]