Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: which a-body?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:05 am 
i am considering a hot rod soon and i want an a body. dart or duster is the question. any suggestions(advantages/disadvantages) thanks.

Post subject: light weight...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:40 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I would go for a '70-72 Duster or a '63-'66 Dart since they are best looking and lightest weight of the two types you mentioned.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:09 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
While I have a '65 Dart and think it is great. I would suggest the Duster. Bigger wheel wells make for more tire room, bigger engine compartment makes for more possibilities in the future. Just my .02 worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:14 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
Where are you at? I found a '67 Barracuda coupe that is an abandoned race car project. It could be a '68 or '69. The rear floor pans and chassis members have been removed. No glass or doors, what's left of it is solid and straight. This would make an excellent race car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:58 pm 
67 to 69 Valiants are lighter than Dusters. Also cheaper to get if you can find them. Kind of like Dollar General Stores, sort of off the beaten path. Lots of people on the west coast almost give these cars away.

Post subject: Lots of considerations
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:12 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
If you're even thinking of a V8 swap, I would advise avoiding the '66 and earlier ones. There are very few headers for these cars that fit without cutting up the fenderwells - not a particularly good idea on A-bodies since they are extensions of the frame rails and contribute a lot to the overall stiffness of the car. The pre-'67 cars are also considerably tougher to find resto parts for. On the other hand, they're less commonly seen hot rodded, and light weight.

The '60-'61 cars have an oddball suspension that has far less aftermarket than later ones. The '62 cars, while sharing the extremely distinctive Virgil Exner styling of the older ones, roll along on the more modern suspension, making disc brake conversions and handling upgrades easier.

The '67-'72 A-bodies are all very similar for performance purposes, and are probably the most "mainstream" choices. They have the best aftermarket support of all A-bodies, enough room to comfortably do a V8 conversion if you decide on one, but are a little heavier than the early cars.

The '73-'76 cars often came with the large bolt pattern from the factory. They are the heaviest of all A-bodies, though, and I do not think the styling is as good as earlier models.