Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:41 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle
Hey All,
Lorrie Van Haul (the only 1967 Dodge P200 Postal Van that Google finds on the whole WWW) is eventually going to be needing either a NEW Steering Box, or the present Steering Box rebuilt. Have been doing some searching, and have not found anything that even remotely resembles Lorrie's Steering Box. Remember, Lorrie is a right hand drive vehicle.

QUESTION: Would anyone know what part number should be asked for?

Lorrie is doing very well these days. Daniel's HEI system works marvelously. Lorrie starts immediately even in the coldest weather.

Have noticed that there has recently started to be a bit of play in the Steering Wheel. It isn't all that bad, but it would probably be best to start to find out where to get another Steering Box should this trend continue.

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Hope this finds you all doing well, and thanks in advance.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:09 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Hello JC! Good to hear from you. Given Chrysler's predilection towards parts interchangeability, I would imagine that the gearbox can be swapped with another Chyrsler product. Can you post some pictures? Maybe someone can identify what kind of gearbox it is and what might interchange.

If you can't find a replacement, I highly recommend redhead steering gears in Seattle. They can rebuild your core and do top notch work. I have purchased several steering gears from them and have always been VERY happy with the product.

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:24 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
How certain are you it's the box? Unless that steering system is significantly different, there is a coupler that ties the box to the column. It's a metal housing with bits inside that mesh together. If these wear, they can produce similar symptoms of a loose box. You can purchase rebuild kits for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:01 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
Hello JC! Good to hear from you.

Hey Reed,
There you are! :) Good to hear from YOU too.

Quote:
Given Chrysler's predilection towards parts interchangeability, I would imagine that the gearbox can be swapped with another Chyrsler product.

Would be VERY happy if that is the case. Have been kind of dreading that there might come a day when it wouldn't be safe to take Lorrie out somewhere.

Quote:
Can you post some pictures?

Yes, but there's very little of it visible. The lubrication fill plug is right up top and front, but the rest of it is behind the sheet metal, and from underneath it is somewhat "behind" a bunch of other stuff.

Quote:
Maybe someone can identify what kind of gearbox it is and what might interchange.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Quote:
If you can't find a replacement, I highly recommend redhead steering gears in Seattle. They can rebuild your core and do top notch work. I have purchased several steering gears from them and have always been VERY happy with the product.

Will keep that in mind.

From the searching that has already been done, a "used" unit from "PartsOnNet" was found, and the fellow quoted the price as $495.00 including shipping. Told him I'd have to think about it, which I did for about ten seconds before realizing that THAT was probably more than I could afford.

Quote:
http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com

Will check this out, for sure.

Things have been going along at a bewildering pace here, except for when it is too wet and too cold to be out.

Have been in the process of refurbishing the "Kitty Kastle", which is where the octave of cats live. It was originally built out of lumber that wasn't pressure treated, and it lasted for almost ten years and then all of a sudden, it just started falling apart with all the rafters and trim having rotted. And there was one of the pussy cats that was clever enough to find a way to not only get out, but to get back in. But the forest is infested with feral cats that have a rhinotracheitis epidemic going, and if she came in contact with a cat that had it, she'd bring it back to the other seven. Besides, there are about five or six Pit Bull dogs that roam the neighborhood.

So the Kitty Kastle is being rebuilt using pressure treated lumber, and am just finishing the East section, with about half of the North section left to do.

Prior to starting, had to clean out a semi-large patch of briars, brambles, and had to take down some Caster Berry trees, which took almost three weeks to accomplish. That's the bad news. The good news is that since starting, my physical condition has strengthened. At first about thirty minutes was all that could be done before having to take a break. In the three months that it has taken, that work period between breaks has lengthened to about two hours. So am doing well, considering that turning seventy-six happened at the end of January.

Anyway, hope you have been having an interesting existence, and that things are going well for you. Will see if I can get the JPGs of Lorrie's Steering Box posted tomorrow.

Take care, and thanks for the prompt response, and link.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:09 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Pierre wrote:
How certain are you it's the box?

Hey Mr. P,
Not "certain" at all. It's just that the steering wheel can be turned about four inches (two inches each way) without it turning the front wheels.

Quote:
Unless that steering system is significantly different, there is a coupler that ties the box to the column. It's a metal housing with bits inside that mesh together. If these wear, they can produce similar symptoms of a loose box.

Good to know. Will do some investigating about it and see what THAT is all about.

Quote:
You can purchase rebuild kits for them.

That would be a joy to behold. Haven't actually done any kind of in-depth checking of the situation. Will have to do that and will get back to you with what is found.

Hope this finds YOU doing well. Thanks for the response. Take care.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:20 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Do you have a factory service manual for any old mopar? Look up the steering box adjustment. It's easy to do and should clear up the loose steering condition somewhat. Or at least make it more manageable.

Best part is it's free to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:39 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

ESP47 wrote:
Do you have a factory service manual for any old mopar?

Hey Mr. E,
Not a FSM, but have a couple of Manuals that deal with the subject.

Quote:
Look up the steering box adjustment. It's easy to do and should clear up the loose steering condition somewhat. Or at least make it more manageable.

Have been chased indoors by the weather (COLD and WET). Was going to get a JPG of the Steering Box for Reed, but upon perusing the task, decided that there were other things more pressing than taking the Grille off of Lorrie and then taking the pictures. In the process of looking it all over, have found the adjustment Nut and Bolt. Have done the process a number of times on other vehicles. Was thinking that when the other more pressing matters are taken care of, will do the adjustment that you recommend.

Quote:
Best part is it's free to do.

Yes.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Will get back to this when I can. Hope you are WARM and DRY!

JC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:17 am 
Turbo Slant 6

JCAllison wrote:
Hey All,
Lorrie Van Haul (the only 1967 Dodge P200 Postal Van that Google finds on the whole WWW) is eventually going to be needing either a NEW Steering Box, or the present Steering Box rebuilt. Have been doing some searching, and have not found anything that even remotely resembles Lorrie's Steering Box. Remember, Lorrie is a right hand drive vehicle.

Hey All,
It has been some time since posting here at SSO. But when in doubt, consult those whom one considers the experts on the subject in doubt. Well, here I am quoting myself, not because of being an expert, but because what was previously written is once again relevant. So bear with me on this and we'll see if something can be done for my sweetheart Lorrie Van Haul.

Quote:
QUESTION: Would anyone know what part number should be asked for?

Having just yesterday acquired a 1967-1968 Dodge Truck Factory Shop Manual on CD, the answer to this question from the FSM is: Gemmer Y4D-335 Right Hand Drive Steering Gear Box.

Quote:
Lorrie is doing very well these days. Daniel's HEI system works marvelously. Lorrie starts immediately even in the coldest weather.
Have noticed that there has recently started to be a bit of play in the Steering Wheel. It isn't all that bad, but it would probably be best to start to find out where to get another Steering Box should this trend continue. Any information would be GREATLY appreciated. Hope this finds you all doing well, and thanks in advance. JC

All right, with THAT quoted, we can start trying to get this Caper back underway.

Have just recently cleaned Lorrie's Right Hand Drive Steering Gear Box, and photographed it. Am not sure how to post the JPGs, but see that there is below a way to do it that may or may not work. We'll see:

Well, it seems that from the look of the "Preview" that the two JPGs DID get attached, but don't know where they will be placed in the post, not that it makes any difference. If they are able to be seen, then that's all that matters.

A few comment about Lorrie's Right Hand Drive Steering Gear Box will bring us up to date about what is presently known:

First: The exploded view of the Gemmer Y4D-335 in the FSM doesn't look anything like what is shown in the JPGs.

Second: There are apparently TWO versions of the Gemmer Y4D-335! ONE has a "Stub Shaft" (which is the splined end of the Worm Gear to which the Shaft from the Steering Wheel attaches), and the OTHER version has the Shaft from the Steering Wheel being integral with the Worm Gear so there is NO connector (such as a Rag Joint or U-Joint) involved. It is unknown which version Lorrie's has, and am reticent to explore until we actually begin to do the work because Lorrie is the ONLY transportation here and is needed to be functional while getting all the ducks in a row.

Third: The removal of the Pitman Arm which is USUALLY a real PITA should not be a problem because Lorrie's Pitman Arm has a "split end" (like a Battery Cable), and after removing the Nut&Bolt, the split end can be "spread" making removal easy peasy.

Fourth: Have at Reed's recommendation contacted Daniel Foster at RedHead Steering Boxes, and sent him the JPGs that he requested. Have yet to hear back from him.

Fifth: Have also made inquiries of OTHER Steering Gear Box vendors and rebuilder, and am awaiting replies, but so far looking for a suitable Unit for Lorrie is like looking for hen's teeth in a haystack.

Lorrie is still drivable, is the absolute BEST vehicle ever, and seems to be healthy&happy which can only be enhanced by getting the slop out of her steering. The Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor that Daniel Stern so graciously supplied is function WONDEROUSLY.

Lorrie's MIGHTY 225 Slant Six Engine starts with but the barest activation of the Start Switch, goes to a 500 RPM idle INSTANTLY, and is the most gentle and sweet vehicle ever. She may be FAT&UGLY, but she is a sweetheart.

Anyway, with the above information supplied, any comments, advice, recommendations, and/or suggestions are invited, and would be greatly appreciated.

Hope this find you all doing well, and taking excellent care.

JCAllison

Attachments:
LORSTER07.jpg
LORSTER07.jpg [ 189.23 KiB | Viewed 9892 times ]
LORSTER03.jpg
LORSTER03.jpg [ 184.2 KiB | Viewed 9892 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:42 am 
Supercharged

Hello JC! Good to hear from you. Glad Lorrie is still going strong. I hope you hear back from Redhead gears and they give you good news.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:42 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
Hello JC!

Hey Reed,
How have you been?

Quote:
Good to hear from you.

Likewise. Kind of suspected that YOU would be the first, and maybe ONLY one to respond.

Quote:
Glad Lorrie is still going strong.

She is a WONDROUS sweetheart.

Quote:
I hope you hear back from Redhead gears and they give you good news.

Me too. Daniel Foster requested JPGs of Lorrie's Gemmer Y4D-335 Right Hand Drive Steering Gear Box. Got them taken and sent off. Have yet to hear back. Will let you know what happens.

Anyway, hope all is well with YOU.

Take care.

JC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:45 pm 
Supercharged

I am hanging in there, trucking along. If anyone can help you, Redhead can. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:07 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
I am hanging in there, trucking along.

Hey Reed,
As good as can be expected these days.

Quote:
If anyone can help you, Redhead can. 8)

That's the impression I get too.

In the meantime, Have found a (maybe) valuable resource. It's a 1959-1968 Dodge Post Office Vehicles Parts List Supplement.

Supposed to contain all the Parts Numbers for '59-'68 Post Office Vehicles, PLUS Parts Numbers for Parts that can be substituted for the ORIGINAL Parts if necessary.

It's supposed to be here next week.

Will just have to wait and see.

Will let you know more when I know more.

Take care,

JC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:41 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Hey All,
Had an idea about the acquisition of a suitable Right Hand Drive Steering Gear Box for Lorrie Van Haul.

We here in the USA drive on the LEFT side of the road. Therefore, most Steering Gear Boxes are Left Hand Drive, and Right Hand Drive Steering Boxes are relatively rare. BUT in Australia, they drive on the RIGHT side of the road. Therefore, by logical extension, Right Hand Steering Boxes should be quite common, while Let hand Drive Steering Boxes would be relatively rare.

So the next thing to do would be to find an Australian outfit that has a Salvage Yard Network.

Did the requisite Google Search and found THIS:

https://partsplus.com.au/contact-us/#map_top

Scroll down past the Map of Australia, and VOILA', :)

Sent each one of the outfits listed an E-Mail that said:

Quote:
Hey All,
I am JC Allison, caretaker of the world famous Lorrie Van Haul, arguably the ONLY 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle still in existence out of 3,500 built.

For picture of Lorrie Van Haul, click HERE:

http://www.allisonwonderlandcls.website ... home02.htm

Lorrie and I live in Onalaska, Texas, USA, and Lorrie is in dire need of a NEW, or REBUILT Steering Gear Box.

The ORIGINAL Unit is a: Gemmer Y4D-335 Right Hand Drive Steering Gear Box.

The reason I am inquiring of you in Australia is because Right Hand Drive is normal for you. We here in the USA have Left Hand Drive, and Right Hand Drive Steering Gear Boxes are almost unobtainable.

Would you perhaps happen to have an above referenced unit?

Would you perhaps know where one of the above referenced units could be found?

Would you perhaps have or know of a rebuild kit for the above referenced unit?

Would you perhaps know of a unit that would interchange with the above reference unit?

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance for you attention to this matter.

Hope you are well.

Take care.

JC Allison

Have already gotten a response that wished me "good luck", but allowed as to how the couldn't help.

Am at this point awaiting the arrival of: 1959-1968 Dodge Post Office Vehicles Parts List Supplement
which should be here before the week is out. It SUPPOSEDLY contains a "Part Interchangability" list.

Should be interesting to find out that it ACTUALLY contains.

Will let you all know what is found.

Take care.

JC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:54 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
If anyone can help you, Redhead can. 8)

Hey Reed,
Just got an E-Mail from Daniel Foster at RedHead Steering Gears. It reads:

"Unfortunately, after showing the pictures and casting info you sent me, we do not have the bearings needed and after checking with our sources, it’s looking like we don’t have any leads on them. At this time, I would not be able to do a rebuild on it. Sorry we cant help you! Daniel Foster"

At this point, we are STILL awaiting the arrival of the 1959-1968 Dodge Post Office Vehicles Parts List Supplement, which is scheduled to arrive on Monday, September 10, 2018. It supposedly has a "parts interchange" list.

Have some replies from the Australian Salvage Yard Network saying that they don't have anything like what we are needing either.

So it looks as if things are starting to get serious. Fortunately, Lorrie is still presently driveable.

It MAY be that we are going to have to use some Disneynovation. It doesn't seem like doing a Steering System Conversion would be all THAT hard. There ARE After-Market Right Hand Steering Boxes available.

Would have to fabricate an Adapter Plate to get one of them to bolt up to Lorrie's Frame, AND attach to Lorrie's Steering Shaft.

This is another one of those things that would have to be filed under: "Why can't anything be easy?"

Anyway, isn't this fun? :)

JC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:59 am 
Turbo Slant 6

New
Hey All,
Thursday, September 6,2018, Morning Update:

While awaiting the arrival of the 1959-1968 Dodge Post Office Vehicles Parts List Supplement, due here Monday, September 10, 2018, (if not sooner, because it arrived in Dallas, Texas at 5:32 a.m. on Wednesday, September 5, 2016), and which supposedly has an "interchange parts list", which is assumed to have be a list of "alternate parts" which the Post Office Maintenance people used to keep the Post Office Vehicles percolating, have been doing some "outside the box" thinking on ways to keep Lorrie Van Haul doing the same.

As you may or may not know, or as you may or may not remember, last week saw the arrival of the 1967-1968 Dodge Truck Factory Shop Manual.

Have been pouring over its contents and grokking everything possible about the Dodge Steering System used in Lorrie Van Haul, among OTHER similar vehicles.

Am going to here do a summary of the subject, because there may be some nuances which have been overlooked, and the experienced people here at SSF just might be able to see something that I'm not seeing.

So here here goes:

Lorrie Van Haul is a 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle, with a Right Hand Drive Gemmer Y4D-335 Steering Gear Box. [Note: This may or may not be true, as it is unknown whether the Post Office Maintenance People have MAYBE swapped out Lorrie's ORIGINAL Steering Gear Box, or whether the present Unit IS Lorrie's ORIGINAL Steering Gear Box]. In any case, we are going to proceed with the assumption that the Unit presently installed in Lorrie IS the ORIGINAL Unit, and if it IS, it is listed in the 1967-1968 Dodge Truck Factory Shop Manual, as the aforementioned Gemmer Y4D-335 Steering Gear Box.

In addition to the Dodge P200. there is also listed in the 1967-1968 Dodge Truck Factory Shop Manual, as having a Gemmer Y4D-335 Steering Gear Box. OTHER Vehicles that have the Gemmer Y4D-335 Steering Gear Box. That list of Vehicles includes: The 1964 Dodge P300, P400, D400, S400, D500, D600, D700, S500. PD 500, and PD600.

In addition to the above listed vehicles that have a Gemmer Y4D-335 Steering Gear Box, there is a list of Vehicles that have a Gemmer Y5D-375 Steering Gear Box. That list of Vehicles includes: The 1964 Dodge D500, D600, D700, D800, S500, S600, PD500, and PD600.

The question arises: What is the difference in all these Vehicles?

The answer to that is only "implied" in the 1967-1968 Dodge Truck Factory Shop Manual, as the information included lists the P200 as having a Front Axle Capacity (FAC) of 2,800 (am assuming that is "lbs"), the P300 has a FAC of 3,800 lbs, the P400, D400, D500, D600, D700, S400, S500, PD500 and PD600 have FACs of from 4,000 to 5,000 lbs. And for the Gemmer Y5D-375 Steering Gear Box. all the Vehicles listed as having THAT unit, having FACs of 5000 to 7000 lbs.

So the implication is that the higher the number, the greater the Front Axle Capacity, which implies that the HIGHER the model number, the BIGGER the Vehicle.

A bit of analysis is in order.

Notice that BOTH the Gemmer Y4D-335 Steering Gear Box, and the Gemmer Y5D-375 Steering Gear Box a used on D500 and the D600, which would by logical extension (maybe) mean that the Gemmer Y4D-335 Steering Gear Box, and the Gemmer Y5D-375 Steering Gear Box may have the same Mounting Bolt Pattern. AND by further logical extension (maybe) that would mean thatGemmer Y4D-335 Steering Gear Box, and the Gemmer Y5D-375 Steering Gear Box are interchangable!

So the next thing is to see (since so far there have been ABSOLUTELY no availability of either the Gemmer Y4D-335 Steering Gear Box, OR the Gemmer Y5D-375 Steering Gear Boxs, what AVAILABLE Steering Gear Box Units ARE being offered that will fit the: P300; P400; D400; D500; D600; D700; D800; S400; S500; S600; PD500; and PD600?

But even if all that information is possible, there is still the FACTOR, that the Steering Gear Box HAS to be a Right Hand Drive Unit. And THAT is what the 1959-1968 Dodge Post Office Vehicles Parts List Supplement will hopefully reveal.

Also, there is MORE!

There is also mentioned in the 1967-1968 Dodge Truck Factory Shop Manual a Saginaw 525D Steering Gear Box for use in the D100, D200, D300, W100, and W200.

There is also mention of a Gemmer B-60 for use in the WM300.

There is also mention of a Gemmer 6D-400 Slim Line, for use in the W500, D700 and D800 (notice that these last two models are also listed as being able to use the Gemmer Y4D-335 Steering Gear Box).

Further, in doing all this research, have found historical information about Gemmer, Ross, Saginaw, Packard, Dodge, Power Steering, and gobs of other stuff, about which we will write later.

But this is it for now.

Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

Take care everyone.

JC