Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:21 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hi-

Does anyone know how to fix a seat belt that is stuck in the retractor on a 74 Dart? It has two retractors, one for the shoulder belt and one for the lap belt. The two belts are attached at the buckle. I cannot pull the belt out of either retractor far enough to get the other one to go back in, so that it will release one of the retractors. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:50 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Yes: get rid of those damnuisance, probably-well-past-their-safe-useful-life 42-year-old belts and put in new ones that are both much better (safer) and much easier to use (can grab and click with one hand, can move around in the seat as needed because they only lock in emergency deceleration...means no more dumb '74-belt game of having to pull it out verrrrrrrryyyyyyy slllowwwwwwwwwwllllyyyyyyy and carefully in case it locks and you have to put it all the way back and start again, etc.)

Post subject: Yep...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:57 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The 1975-1976 version was much more reliable and easier to deal with. Dan has a good source... in the mean time, you will have to pull the two plastic 'rivets' out of each side of the plastic cover and hand work the seat belt back to the start position, then reinstall the cover... but just be warned you'll get jammed again.... been there done that on my 74 Duster...

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:44 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks for the ideas.
I have in the past had luck getting the seat belt unstuck if I can get one of the retractors to loosen up, then pull that part of the belt way out, and then have enough webbing to push the other part of the seat belt into the retractor, thereby loosening that part.
Not this time, however!

Luckily it is the passenger side that got stuck.
I use the driver's belt all the time and have little trouble with it, thankfully.

Post subject: Lol...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:36 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Yep glad to help, been there, and even had the retractor on the driver's side lock after hard braking and stick tight... once I couldn't get it to retract anymore I ended up doing surgery as described to see what was hanging up the guts... 1974 is just a one off year for lots of bad things... seat belt retractors are one... the seatbelt ignition lock system is another... under jetting the Holley 1945 is yet another... oddly it was a record year for some A-body sales...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:59 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
This subject has come up before. I offer my one trick that sometimes works: blow out the belt retractors with an air nozzle to try to clear the years of fuzzies and junk out of the mechanisms. Sometimes that is all it takes. If yours are rusted inside, then see the above responses.

Post subject: The bad part....
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:09 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
blow out the belt retractors with an air nozzle to try to clear the years of fuzzies and junk out of the mechanisms

This works a fair amount of the time, but the 1974 is a one year only version that has a finicky counterweight lock system compared to the last versions 1975-up... and sadly, you have to pull the two rivets instead of unscrewing one nicely shrouded screw at base of the retractor which adds a bit more insult to injury.... At one time I even took some crusty OEM grease out of one, and tried to relube it, only to find that gets gummed up with the fuzzies over a short period of time...

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:10 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
If memory serves me there was a TSB published by mopar that addressed this. I don't remember it with certainty but I believe it illustrated how to take them apart and make the necessary adjustments .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:51 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
TSB Page 1 · Page 2 · Page 3 · Page 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:50 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
Thanks Dan!