Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:14 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 75valiant custom
i am ready to re-do my 75 valiant seats and carpet. i have found carpet (yay!), but it looks like a dead end for an accurate restoration of my beloved 4 door bench seat family car. i can find plenty of stuff for buckets and split benches, but it appears that the fabric is long gone (found one bolt in green; don't think that would look good with harvest gold).

my new vinyl top looks really good, and although the headliner was wrong, the color looks good and is a lot more appealing than the ugly steel roof. i talked to a guy at legendary interiors and he said just to pick what i like and have a local guy do custom. i'm quite sure he knows what he is talking about, but maybe somebody knows a source.

looking for foam armrests, and possibly headrests if the price is right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:04 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
A good upholstery shop will be able to do whatever you want and make it look good. I have a racing buddy who does interiors at his shop. He has done many stock style seats from scratch that 95% of the people who looked at it couldn't tell it wasn't factory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:41 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I am surprised that Legendary cannot get you the original style/color vinyl (or cloth). From there, a good upholstery shop can custom make the seats.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:51 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
I agree with Dennis. The upholstery you require is simple for a professional.

Spend the time to find the fabric you like in a quality you can afford. Purchase enough to do everything + 30%. This will allow the shop plenty of room to operate and allows you to make other matching items later.

I would send out seats if I were you but many of the other parts can be done at home on a home machine . ....like arm rests door panels and headrests.

( I made a custom drivers door arm rest for my Desoto before I went to Mexico using plywood , Insulite foam and leftover upholstery fabric from the door panels.)

Make a pattern....right sides together....if you can do layout and weld....you can sew.

Marine Houseboat outdoor carpet makes an ideal trunk liner. It is easily cut with scissors and sewn by a decent machine. Sew it into a tub shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:15 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Don't give up. A good auto upholstery shop can work magic with what they have on hand—see here for example. And take note that while you might not be able to find precisely the original cloth (say by looking here), if you expand your search to look at same- and similar-year other Chrysler Corp models, you come up with wider options as shown here and here, for example. That way you can get super-super close to original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:42 pm 

Car Model:
Another idea is to use whatever good fabric left on your seats to be the basis for new covers. Add Inserts of a more durable fabric.

I used the interior of a Buick hearse for fabric for my Desoto. It was high quality....clean ...and a colour match for my seats. The insulated headliner was a good score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:53 pm 
TBI Slant 6

thanks so much, guys! you've really brightened my day. great links, dan!

can anyone tell me where i find the trim code for my car? this could simplify things in a hurry.

since i haven't ordered the carpet yet, any comments on that would be welcomed as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:40 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Go for some exciting Mod Top material! http://www.mooresmopars.com/modmaterial.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:52 pm 
TBI Slant 6

just got off the phone, sms is sending samples. when it quits raining, i will look up the trim code on the data plate.

dan, the link you sent with the chrysler newport seemed to have an exact match. it's kind of hard to compare off the monitor, so samples will be a godsend. i've got new window channel, just need to order the anti-rattle.

i had my rear glass re-set, and got a nos windshield installed, all for under $300. still have a couple of small leaks, but the guy assured me he will stand behind it and get it sealed. the fresh air intake box is SEALED, so i'm getting close now. have a little floor rust to patch, no biggie. i want to get the best insulation possible so i have a nice, quiet ride.

to quote an old queen song, i'm in love with my car! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:37 pm 
TBI Slant 6

got the samples in the mail saturday from sms. the fabric and vinyl are an EXACT MATCH!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, SLANTSIX DAN!!

i called to place the order, but when i told them my carpet is loop and not cut pile, they asked me to please wait for the new sample to arrive before placing my order. they don't want to guess on the carpet (or anything else, i suppose), so i have to wait a few more days.

my floor was dry this morning. i'll go check with a low pressure garden hose to be sure the leaks in the glass are, indeed, fixed. i think they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:30 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Well, that's real good! Glad to help out. One thing: Before you go ahead with a carpet order, you may also want to check with stockinteriors.com . I've been very happy with quality, selection, and price from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:11 am 
TBI Slant 6

update: after discussing what i had found with my upholsterer, he advised that the price he quoted me included carpet and vinyl, and i could tell by the sound of his voice he preferred to stick with his own source. then i learned that his vinyl (not hard to match at all) was less than HALF, so i just got the fabric. it arrived yesterday, and looks great!

when i ordered my window sweep, i was startled to learn that it did NOT come with clips. i called the guy, and he explained that different makes have differing methods, to all use the same sweep, so that's just the way it is. he was really nice about it, but the body shop and i were quite befuddled as how to proceed, because the clips are not reusable. the factory basically brads them into place like a rivet. luckily, i knew about auveco clips, so i painstakingly searched through the pages until i found the correct clip. they don't sell to the public, but the lady was nice enough to give me a source to use, and happily they arrived yesterday as well. new sweeps will now complement my new channels!

the car is at the body shop, getting new floors, sweeps and channels. i wish they had asked me to locate floor patch panels, because they have done a painstaking job and it is NOT a fast thing to fabricate them. however, i live in a small town and we all treat each other right, so i shouldn't be in too bad a shape. they are getting close to being finished.

my next step will be to insulate for sound deadening. years ago, i upgraded my 71 ford pickup (which literally had the acoustics of a tin can) and the results were truly impressive. i like a nice, quiet car with a smooth ride. no flowmasters for me! i kinda chuckle when i read some exhaust threads. i thought that stuff sounded great until i turned 30. then i told my neighbor, "it sounds good for about 3 miles. then it's time to hear the radio." now i just want to hear the radio. if i want to hear loud engines, i will go to the racetrack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:34 am 
TBI Slant 6

second update:

the body man did a really nice job on the front floor pans. my trim man said to bring it in on the 20th, so i advised the body man and he found a good stopping point. tried to fix an oil leak, but ran short on time so buttoned everything up. AND THEN...

heart went nuts on sunday evening, so finally had to call ambulance. tachycardia. got a couple of "death shots", that didn't work, so they hit me with the paddles. that got me from afib to vfib (deadly rhythm). second shock cured that, but quickly went back to afib. sent me in a chopper to okc, where i pretty quickly stabilized. they wouldn't let me leave without a slew of tests, repeating the same crap of 6 years ago. bottom line? i'm good to go, going to have what they call an ablation. heart, arteries, veins, kidneys and blood all in great shape. afib runs in the family.

the best part? a buddy drove my car to the trim shop for me, keeping me from losing my spot. this shop looks REALLY good, i may have the car back this next week. happy news!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:32 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Wow that was a close call.

Quote:
ablation

Had to look it up, and as suspected, it is a procedure my brother underwent twice a few years ago; first go at it didn't quite correct 100% of the problem, second procedure finished the job. He feels real good now.

Both of us are third generation participants in Framingham Hart Study, longest and largest study of it type started 1948. Early April I will be lab-rat for a day in Framingham MA doing my part for science.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:29 pm 

Car Model:
I live with Tachycardia,

I have had the ablation done to no avail.

Now....I just don't worry about it. The tests and procedures are worse than the nuisance.

Congrats on moving your project along.