Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum upgrade!
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:09 am

All times are UTC-07:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:34 am 
Offline
TBI Slant 6
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:05 am
Posts: 145
Location: Timberlea, Nova Scotia
Car Model*:
Hey All:

These trim pieces were removed by my upholsterer when he redid the headliner in my car. I'm trying to figure out where they go. I THINK they might be on the B-Pillar, up near the top, but I can't seem to find the attachment hole through the new liner.

Any ideas?

And I FINALLY tracked down my front/port water leak in the cabin. The seam where the firewall meets the driver's side body panel is rotted at the top and any water that runs down the firewall from the hood or fender seams ends up flowing through the bad area. Also, my cowl drains are all cleared now, but guess where they run....yep, right over the bad seam. So! At least I know where it is. I'll have to remove the front fender and the vent box from the inside, then have it welded. ...Next Spring! lol

Thanks, Shawn


Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Correct...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:26 pm 
Offline
Board Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:27 pm
Posts: 9343
Location: Salem, OR
Car Model*:
You will have to probe with an awl to find the screw hole again... hopefully it wasn't a spring clip with a hole in it like the late dusters....


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:43 pm 
Offline
TBI Slant 6
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:05 am
Posts: 145
Location: Timberlea, Nova Scotia
Car Model*:
Thanks, DI!
Shawn


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:56 pm 
Offline
EFI Slant 6
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 pm
Posts: 445
Location: Seattle, WA
Car Model*: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
Do a search on this site for "water leaks" under "Other" to help steer you to possible water entry areas and solutions by many of our friends here. In that thread I mentioned a system I was trying in order to chase those leaks within the front cowl-to- firewall area. The results of that experiment are still not firmed-up. The method was to use a hole-saw to cut three 1.5" holes into the right and left cowl areas (under the hood), clean out the area as well as you can using home-made cleaning tools, then seal all the interior seams using a thick liquid sealer such as Sashco "Through the Roof" sealer. I applied it using disposable acid brushes fabricated into weird shapes and angles to work the seams through those 1.5" holes. Afterward, the holes are capped using plastic hardware store hole plugs. I think the experiment was about 90% effective, but I haven't determined where the other 10% leak is originating, so I'm back in the hunt, as are most of us here. The best solution for cabin water leaks still seems to be park it under cover and don't go out in the rain! Not possible here in Seattle.

_________________
"Louise", a 1976 Dart Custom project, (now sadly reverted to being just an "organ donor" to our other project Darts.)


Top
   
 Post subject: Note...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:23 pm 
Offline
Board Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:27 pm
Posts: 9343
Location: Salem, OR
Car Model*:
Quote:
I'll have to remove the front fender


I will note for posterity sake that just under the top rear mounting stud hole there is a weep hole about 1" in diameter that drains each side of the cowl plenum... this then drains to a 'rail that follows the firewall to the lower part of the rockers beside the door jam.... I have yet to see any 1967-1976 A-body that has seen the elements have an intact set of these left (I fabbed a set of replacements for the Hpak duster and welded them in and sealed with silicone to keep them intact and from rotting out.... If you are getting a couple of wet spots in the lower corners of the firewall/floorpan area these may be missing and rot is occuring in that location....

Just keep this in mind....


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC-07:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited