Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Gas Cap
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:07 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I can't find a gas cap for my '65 Dodge Dart 270--I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone or something. I called NAPA, Advance, checked Rockauto, and even called AutoZone. Ebay has them for $40, which seems ridiculous to me. Has anyone had luck somewhere? Do I need to hit up the closest junk yard?

Thank, because this is my current (not driving) setup:

BTW, it was sometime after my last fill up from San Antonio, TX to Ravenel, SC that the gas cap disappeared. It was kinda loose anyways....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:45 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GMK-2130-757-621/Application/?query=Year|1965|Make|DODGE|Model|DART&prefilter=1

$12.95

Olaf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:17 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Olaf: Nope! Listing error, bigtime. Here is the manufacturer's page for that cap. With a picture and description that clearly shows us this is not a cap for a '60-'66 A-body. It's the wrong size, wrong shape, the cam ears are wrong, and there's nothing such as a "1962-1970" Mopar gas cap. You, ah, weren't recommending something you don't have direct knowledge of, Olaf, now, were you? :oops: C'mon, anybody can do a web search and come up with wrong answers. Posting a link to what you think you understand of what you think you saw on the web, without direct knowledge of what you're posting about, really doesn't help anyone. Why not save your weblink answers for when you have solid basis for knowing you are giving good information? That's how I do it, and the only downside is that it gives one something of a reputation as a knowitall because the answers one posts have a consistent tendency to work out well for whoever asked the question.

Now, where to get a gas cap for a '65 Dart? Not at an auto parts store (not for many years now). Aside from the odd (and usually overpriced) NOS item that goes acroseBay, and the ridiculously overpriced reproduction items from a disreputable vendor whose name starts with an "L", there is presently one reliable source for good quality new gas caps for '60-'66 A-bodies. That source is here, from fellow A-body owner Steve in California.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:55 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I am sorry if I led you astray, PauloftheWest. Judging from the old towel hanging out out the filler pipe, I assumed that a cap to prevent fuel loss or fuel theft was the main purpose of your search, not necessarily an original one. My mistake.

Goodmark wrote:
GAS CAP, 62-70 MOPAR W/O ECS, 64-70 GM W/O EEC (VENTED) 70 AMX /JAV/REB W/O CAL EMIS

Gas Caps
New caps to replace worn or missing originals. Made by a major OE suppler.
64-70 Wagon (without EEC)

Stock #: 2130-757-621

OUT OF STOCK

LIST PRICE: $ 14.25

I was recently looking for another gas cap in the Summit online catalog, and found more than 100 to choose from, so I thought I just as well could make a quick search there, and the search came up with an answer.

Dan, I can see where I made a mistake, this cap is clearly for Mopars without Evaporation Control System (ECS), only. You did not list that mistake, but I am sure you had it in mind.

Dan wrote:
...there's nothing such as a "1962-1970" Mopar gas cap

You should perhaps inform Goodmark about their incorrect listing, after all you are referring to them as the source for correct gas caps. On the other hand, that link you gave produced nothing, because when using the vehicle selection tool, Goodmark does not list any specific gas cap for 1965 Dodge Dart 270 at all, so unfortunately I have nothing to compare to.

You're right, I know absolutely nothing about the gas caps for 1965 Darts. I clearly let my personal preferences overshadow the real goal, by incorrectly assuming that when you have no cap at all, the main purpose for a search was to find a suitable cap, not necessary an original looking one, but any cap. All I personally would look for in the cap was: Does it fit? Will it close the opening in the fuel filler pipe? I would also prefer a locking cap, if that was available.

If you say it doesn't fit, OK.

Olaf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:28 pm 

Car Model:
Y'know what? I'm sorry. That was an over-the-top potshot I took at you. I must've had sand in my pants. I apologize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:43 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
That's OK, but does the cap physically fit?

Olaf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:44 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The last time I needed a gas cap for a '63 - '66 A-body, I went to the parts store and started trying on caps. The one I ended up with was from a late '70s Datsun. Not even close to being OEM, but it worked.

In fact, the cap on my '65 is advising me to use unleaded gas only. I guess I am not the only one who tried on caps until one worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:02 pm 

Car Model:
olafla wrote:
That's OK, but does the cap physically fit?

No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:09 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Bummer!

Olaf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:12 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Hmm... Well I'm reluctant to pay $40 for a gas cap, but that one looks pretty sweet and Dan didn't steer me wrong with the service manual & books. (Which, BTW, thank you because they have been helpful!)

So, I will try it and post my opinion when it arrives.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:27 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Paul, if you do not like the cap, you can send it back, no problem. I always give everybody this option and have not had one returned yet. Trust me, there is $33.50 worth of work in that cap.

Thanks Dan for the props!!

Thanks,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:08 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a non-stock cap (the kind that requires a key and two little latches). Can anybody tell me if this cap will work or would I need to get a new piece that holds the cap to the body and where can you find the part?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:49 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Well if it was like my last one, the answer is:
It will work for awhile--mainly until you take a long drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:10 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Paul of the west.....

Please look at the photos I have posted... They are of the cap mentioned above...On my girlfriends 66 Valiant... Looks good and a tight fit...

Image[/URL]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:34 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Very Cool !! Thanks for the pics . You can change the position of the cross bar to level out the handle if you want .

Thanks again,

Steve