Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:05 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 72 Dart Swinger
So 2 thing:

1: i have a 72 swinger, but im not loving the grill. Any other years that will swap right on in or anybody know of any custom grills?

2: i have a rust hole under the passenger drip rail right by the rear quarter window; am i screwed or can i just fill it with bondo?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:11 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Welcome on the board.

'70 and '71 Dart grills will swap on directly. They are not easy to find in good condition unless you are prepared to pay large money, and the turn signals are smaller and dimmer.

You can fill a hole with Bondo, which will make it more or less disappear. But under the surface it will keep festering and growing worse, undoing whatever other body/paintwork you do. If you're not just trying to slap the car together on the cheap, the repair should be done correctly (metalwork). Perhaps at that same time, you can paint the grille body colour (or just the parts that are argent silver now, or just the parts that are black now) and then you might like it better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:10 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
All rust should be cut away and new metal welded in it's place. It can then be shaped with body filler. It is not really hard to do if you have any metal working skills.

1985 D250 360 46RH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:13 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I have seen interesting grilles made out of metal mesh. Don't be afraid to get creative with materials available from your local home improvement store. Just be sure air can still get to the radiator.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:05 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
If you try a homemade grill, be aware that the parking and turn signal lights have to do a lot more than just light up. There are detailed construction, performance, and size requirements that have to be stuck to, because this is safety equipment. "Yep, I can see 'em" isn't good enough. If you don't keep the original lights, there are plenty of options for good ones that will work—pick your size and shape, like these—but make sure you pick actual front turn signal lamps. Rear turn signals, marker lights, and other functions don't substitute safely.