Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:18 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
I think since I put the new sound deadener in, I'm noticing other sounds now, so I'm trying to eliminate them one-by-one.

My '67 Dart/SL6 has power steering; I'm using a 73-76 k-frame, steering setup. I have a Borgeson steering box and a pot coupler. The steering is very nice, not sloppy at all, but...I'm getting this high-pitched whine through the steering wheel. It is not at high volume, but when I'm in slow traffic or sitting at a stop light it is really annoying. My steering wheel has a "bell" that faces the gear shift, covers the innards and it is receiving a vibration and making this awful sound. I know this because when I grab it with both hands and hold firmly the sound is dampened significantly. I pulled that off and lined it with vinyl dip, that helped a lot, but still the sound is there. I suppose I could cut it or perforate it to break the resonance, but I'm wondering if I swap to a universal joint in the column over the pot coupler this might help. The u-joints that Borgeson offers are also described as vibration dampeners (they use vulcanized rubber to avoid metal to metal contact). I realize the pot coupler has an advantage over a U-joint in accomodating in and out movement of the column due to frame flex, etc. I'm assuming the noise is being transferred from the Borgeson box, as I didn't have this noise prior to the borgeson box install (all other steering components the same, but pot coupler is a bit longer, aftermarket, to mate with the new box), but it is also a newly rebuilt engine, so it could be unrelated to the new box.

Q: Might it be the case that a u-joint from Bergeson would isolate this noise better than the pot coupler, or should they be about the same in that respect?

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:31 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '68 V100, '68 V200, '79 Aspen, '84 D100
I would ever run a u-joint coupler. There's no allowance for chassis flex that the pot coupler has.
A u-joint coupler usually will bearing up the bearings in the steering column.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:33 pm 
Turbo EFI

I hear that argument, and it makes total sense. What I'm wondering is, what do new cars use and how do they account for flex?

brian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:34 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
My '90s FWD Chrysler products all used U-joints between the steering column output shaft and the steering rack input shaft.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:20 pm 
Turbo EFI

OK, thanks Dan, would these rack systems also see the flexes that the older systems see? Perhaps the U-joints do accommodate some flex. They do have rubber in them to absorb vibration. Clearly the pot coupler system has way more give, as the shoes can slide in the pot a good distance, but...

b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:35 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
My '90s FWD Chrysler products all used U-joints between the steering column output shaft and the steering rack input shaft.

My 92 2 WD Dakota also uses U Joints between the steering column and PS rack. Of course it's body on frame so not the same situation as a unibody.

Retired USAF 1966-1986
Retired US Postal Service 2004-2014

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:46 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '68 V100, '68 V200, '79 Aspen, '84 D100
SlantSixDan wrote:

Apples/Oranges comparison.
If the u-joint doesn't damage the column bearings, there's a chance the collapsible steering shaft components will be.
JMO.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:28 pm 
Turbo EFI

Interesting, thanks for all the input on this. I'll investigate my sound a bit more, see if I can isolate it another way (there's no telling if the U-joint would make a difference anyhow).

b

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:42 pm 
Turbo EFI

Got it!

I took my steering wheel off to check out my gear select bulb, and I was thinking about what I could do to stop that terrible resonance sound ringing in the bell shaped column end cover for the Grant steering wheel. I noticed that I had a big steel washer behind the adapter and another big steel washer under the main steering column bolt that holds the adapter onto the column. I replaced the underside washer with a rubber washer (nylon reinforced, like tire rubber). I cranked it down tight (I use thread locker on that main nut). Sound gone! That rubber washer was sufficient to isolate the vibration from going to the bell deally. I was sure that sound was going to make me crazy!

FYI,

Brian

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:35 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I think modern steering columns (90s up?) have a telescoping shaft feature that eliminates the need for the in-out movement the pot coupler provides. At least, many of them I have seen. So, you can have U-joints on the new columns that do not move in-out.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:18 am 
Turbo EFI

Thanks Lou. b