Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 1987 D150 3 speed w/OD
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:11 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1987 D150
Found it about a month ago and could not resist! All the fond memories of my Great Aunt's 67 Dart came flooding back and an offer was made and accepted.

I am tinkerer and not a mechanic by any means so bear with me. It has had a horn bypass installed so it will pass inspection as well as a manual choke. I have read that moving to a 2 barrel carb, which also means a new manifold, is the way to go if I want to go that route. What is a good source for these two items? Parking break is inop. The right control arm was replaced by the seller due to excessive rust.. claimed the left was still good. Exhaust brackets have rusted through.. a rigged system holding it up.

I can tell the axle seals are leaking a bit.... is this much of a job?

Body is in decent shape... some rust over the rear wheel wells. I have already been quoted a fair price from a body shop I know for a lifetime warranty paint job.

So far nothing serious that I can see in the oil leak category... iw nothing makes it to the ground! Radiator in good shape.

Anything I should specifically be looking for?

many thanks !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:55 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
so you have an '87 D150?

well yours is 4 years newer than my '83 D150 daily driver...

if you plan to keep the truck for a while, keep a look out on Ebay for a 1987 D series Factory Service Manual.

they have got more pricey lately, but they do show up from time to time,

for wiring, basic repairs a FSM is a great resource.

Things to check:
your '87 should have a hydraulic clutch, check the fluid level.
If it was me, I would change all the other fluids, engine, tranny, rear end, antifreeze

pull a front wheel and check the disk pads on the front, maybe pull a rear drum and check the shoes.

you mentioned that the parking brake is not operating, on my '83 the plastic covering over the cables eroded away and the cables rusted - froze. New cables are available, IIRC, there is a front cable and a right and left rear, not too bad of a job to change them out.
RockAuto has decent pricing on parts like that. Get your '87 registered at RockAuto for their manufacturers closeouts, there are items that show up at really good pricing for the D series trucks,,

you also mentioned axle seals leaking,, if it is the rear axle seals, what that typically means is the rear axle bearing are shot and when they go bad they tend to take the axle with them..as the bearings use the axle shaft as the inner race..at least if your truck has an 8 1/4 rear end..
again, not an impossible job, but you should do the rear axle bearing and seals at the same time you do the parking brake cables,, and while you are there do the rear shoes and rear wheel cylinders and you will be good on the rear end for a long time.

for a 2 bbl manifold, post here at .org, watch on e bay, craigs list....

and there is a 1987 D150 Factory Service Manual on ebay right now,, at a good price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Chrysler- ... SwkzhZ26yV

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:31 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1987 D150
DadTruck wrote:
so you have an '87 D150?

well yours is 4 years newer than my '83 D150 daily driver...

if you plan to keep the truck for a while, keep a look out on Ebay for a 1987 D series Factory Service Manual.

they have got more pricey lately, but they do show up from time to time,

for wiring, basic repairs a FSM is a great resource.

Things to check:
your '87 should have a hydraulic clutch, check the fluid level.
If it was me, I would change all the other fluids, engine, tranny, rear end, antifreeze

pull a front wheel and check the disk pads on the front, maybe pull a rear drum and check the shoes.

you mentioned that the parking brake is not operating, on my '83 the plastic covering over the cables eroded away and the cables rusted - froze. New cables are available, IIRC, there is a front cable and a right and left rear, not too bad of a job to change them out.
RockAuto has decent pricing on parts like that. Get your '87 registered at RockAuto for their manufacturers closeouts, there are items that show up at really good pricing for the D series trucks,,

you also mentioned axle seals leaking,, if it is the rear axle seals, what that typically means is the rear axle bearing are shot and when they go bad they tend to take the axle with them..as the bearings use the axle shaft as the inner race..at least if your truck has an 8 1/4 rear end..
again, not an impossible job, but you should do the rear axle bearing and seals at the same time you do the parking brake cables,, and while you are there do the rear shoes and rear wheel cylinders and you will be good on the rear end for a long time.

for a 2 bbl manifold, post here at .org, watch on e bay, craigs list....

and there is a 1987 D150 Factory Service Manual on ebay right now,, at a good price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Chrysler- ... SwkzhZ26yV

Thanks dadtruck! What's a good guesstimate on what I would expect to spend on all that rear axle work?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:01 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Glad to see another truck owner! You'll get a lot of good advice on here. Ditto on checking all the brakes, when I got mine the calipers froze in the on position at 35 MPH. A shop manual will be extremely valuable.