Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:23 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1975 Dodge D100
Does anybody have a recommendation for reattaching the windshield-mounted rearview mirror?
Three of the past four summers I've have had to restick the mirror back on the windshield in my pickup. Each time, I used a name brand kit that I bought at the parts store. I even stopped by a local glass shop to see what they had. The guy there he would just use a name brand kit from the parts store. :roll:
Anyway, each time I make this repair I follow the instructions to the tee, maybe being a little obsessive with the cleaning and prep. The air temperature was 94º here yesterday and when I went out to the pickup this morning, the mirror was laying in the floor. It's way too early in the season for this kind of nonsense. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:20 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Don’t know what to tell you, I have used store bought rear view mirror adhesive in the past and have never had it fail,,,
My guess is there is some residual material on the glass surface that is preventing the adhesive from latching on to the glass. Maybe super clean the area where the mirror mount goes with ammonia, scrub it good. Then follow the kits instructions to a T.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:00 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
I use Loctite 454 Gel to attach accelerometers on shaker assemblies.
It is a contact type adhesive.
Clean with alcohol, and press firmly for 20-30 seconds.
If I had a mirror mounted on glass that is what I would use.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Just went though this with a pickup. Mike and I followed the instructions to the letter. Fell off two hours later.

Bought another kit. The instructions were completely different from the one we used the first time. Applied the activator on the squeaky clean glass and mirror shoe. Immediately, not waiting for it to dry, put the dot of adhesive on and pushed the shoe onto the windshield. Good thing it was close, 'cause it locked in place within the first second on the glass. Still held it in place for the prescribed amount of time. Put the mirror on an hour later, tightened it down, came out the next morning, adjusted it, no problem. Used the Permatex kit both times. Bought the ten dollar one they had at Autozone the second time. The $6 one from NAPA the first time didn't take. It also seemed to be old stock. (Yellow cardboard and plastic pulling away from said cardboard.) When it fell off, the epoxy or whatever it was didn't set on the glass. Seemed to be partially set on the metal shoe. Still gooey four hours later when I went to clean off the windshield glass. That one the instructions said to wait a prescribed time for the activator to dry. The one that worked didn't mention that, rather, implied, "Be quick about it."

So, don't use an old kit, and don't let the activator dry. Just put on a big drop of the adhesive and slap that baby on there. Have it very close to the right position. (Right side up is good too.) Had to use the factory shoe, as the one that came in the kit wasn't close to the right size for the mirror. (Worked the shoe on some 150 grit sandpaper on a marble flat Mike gave me a few years ago. Nice and flat.)

CJ