Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:44 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Hello Sages,

I am looking to restore my '62 Wagon Dash binnacle and gauge bezel.

The heater/ defrost controls as well as the wiper knob and headlight knob is what I am trying to find out about. They are a pale yellow plastic... looking like the color of old teeth.

What is the correct color/ finish for these?
The'62 valiant brochure shows black... but I have never seen any evidence of black on my 3 examples.

Thank you for any help!

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:33 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
They're meant to be ivory (pale yellowish-white). The buttons and knobs in the '62 Lancer were made on the same moulds, but were black. The brochure pic got that wrong, probably on account of pre-production prototypes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:24 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Thanks Uncle Dan!
That's what I have... the ivory ones.

I thought there might be some pre production confusion..

I also had considered that they were supposed to be chromed plastic.. like on the malise era cars and that possibly all of the chrome on the tactile surfaces eroded away. Most of the chromed plastic on the gauge bezels is gone and no one ever is supposed to touch those.

In my opinion the black or chrome knobs would look much more dapper than the correct Ivory plastic.

But I will stive for correctness not good looks with this one :D
Greg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:38 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I would not want chrome—too much eye-zapping glare when the sun hits from behind or from the side. That's a problem with the upper chrome part of the '62 Lancer instrument panel faceplate too, and a big problem with the all-chrome '60-'61 Valiant bezel. The '62 Valiant bezel is better on that front; it's mostly all black except for the chrome rings around the gauges. However, the gauges themselves are brushed aluminum, so they're glare-y, too. Here again, same gauges used in the Lancer, except they're black with white lettering rather than brushed aluminum with black lettering. So I think if I were putting together the most legible, least glaring IP for one of these cars, it'd be Lancer gauges with a Valiant faceplate.

I'm not super keen on the ivory buttons and knobs, but I don't hate them enough that I'd want to change them, and I think the black Lancer items would be too much black all in one place.