Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Which tracks do you prefer for 2024 racing?
Knoxville Dragway in Maynardville, TN (timing fairly open - can discuss) 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Kentucky Dragway in Clay City, KY (Mopar event is likely August 23-25, but no date yet and can discuss others) 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
Wilkesboro Dragway in N. Wilkesboro, NC (Maybe pair with Don Carlton event on Aug 31 weekend, or can discuss other date) 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
Motormile dragway in Fairlawn, VA (dates flexible) 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
I cannot attend any of these. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 20
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:28 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Thanks for posting, Bryce and Ryan. October in Knoxville sounds great to me. It always seems to be balls hot or raining there in the summer when we go. I think we could do a July/Aug/Sept race in Clay City too.

Who would go to both??

Contemplating...

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:00 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
ryandcovalt wrote:
David shank has my old 65 4 door and he is daily driving it now and he mentioned racing a couple too.

Covalt Clan - Car Dealers to the Shank Boys!

Awesome!

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:50 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger
There is a possibility we would make it to Clay City as well, but only if there was about a month gap from Knoxville. Officially we are only supporting 3 races with prizes, Knoxville would be one of those. It looks like the most popular locations are Mason-Dixon and Mo-Kan, which would leave Clay City unsupported from prizes. The downside would be that we couldn't advertise Clay City as a business, due to the possibility of confusion.

As a side note we want to make flyers soon, does anyone have "off the line" action shots we could use as a business?

Last edited by yostermercury on Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:30 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I will do my best to be at both races, so long as there is a decent car count. If the weather in Knoxville is the slightest bit iffy I'm not going, sorry.

I am struggling to figure why we can't get people to respond here, where the decisions are made, on this site :?: I say just go ahead and decide when and where they are and call it a day. People will decide yeah or nay once the times get closer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:21 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 72' Dart Swinger / 62' Valiant
Yeah I’ve started making some slant 6 posts on Facebook and I always link to this website when I do. Facebook might be a good announcement board but it is terrible for finding past information. Everything gets lost in the clutter or a billion messages. I’d say any of us that use Facebook should copy and paste a link to this site in any slant 6 racing related posts. Hopefully it will help drive some traffic here.

Traditionally Clay City was one of the biggest slant 6 venues and had some of the better turnouts. Better than Knoxville and Mokan normally. I’m not sure what happened last year or 2 with that, I know some of the race programs ran very slow the last couple of times. Bryce, I really appreciate all you guys are doing to sponsor and promote racing thanks for helping with that and thanks for supporting our race in Hagerstown too! Hopefully we can start to grow the racing series again!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:16 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
I agree with you Ryan, FB is easy to get lost in.
But a good bit of slant six comments are going on.
I think any slant six interest is a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:24 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger
Facebook does have an internal search for groups, it has terrible organization otherwise. It is mainly meant for quick fire questions, or social picture sharing. Facebook isn't setup well for hard instructional "how-to" data. Most of the groups kill external links due to scammers (there is a lot of Slant Six T-Shirt Scams right now). Facebook's algorithm also kills external links, it can be the difference of a post reaching 10k people or just 500. I think the main issue is people don't want to create another login/password and keep up with everything involved. Most of the users are on their phones and Facebook is a on stop app. Facebook has their dog group, Slant Six group, baking group, and all their friends in one convenient location that they can scroll through.

To summarize, convenience.

We can move support from either of the other two races if Clay City is likely to have a bigger turnout. Let just use the prizes as leverage to entice the most that we can. With Knoxville on the table it is our home track, so we will default our support there regardless.

We really need to start circulating a flyer before the end of the month, both MD and Mo-Kan at least have solid dates that make this easier. Do we have race coordinators yet?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:39 am 

I am the race coordinator for Mason Dixon. I will put $100 into the purse for each day. If we have 10 cars the payout should be @ $200 for the winner. You can post that on the flier if you like. If we have more cars , or if someone else wants to put money into the purse, the payout will be larger.

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:19 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

We really need to start circulating a flyer before the end of the month, both MD and Mo-Kan at least have solid dates that make this easier. Do we have race coordinators yet?[/quote]

I thought Jeff Kendall said he would do MOKAN.
Both he and his Dad are coming.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:16 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I will be the coordinator for the Clay city race. I will reach out to them in the next few days. I am on the road right now.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:35 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: SDRA Dragster
I will coordinate with the track.
I want to ask if Mark Goodman or someone else can coordinate the race on race day, as I'll be racing two classes.

Also, I am assuming the group will want to race both 1/4 and 1/8. The schedule shows Friday Fun Drags (aka Test-n-Tune). Do we want to try to run one race on Friday the second race on Saturday?
I'm good with either, or, and both. The track probably will let us do what ever we want. Running both will necessitate designating the pay race.

I would like to propose a social event or gathering at some point as I feel that's a big part of this community. Maybe Friday evening at whatever hotel most are staying at? Carl Junction I think. Or at the BBQ restaurant in Joplin? Or something. I'm open to ideas.

And, I'm not on this sight very often and don't get e-mail notifications, so if you want to get ahold of me, please email me directly, or message me on fbook.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:40 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Sounds Good Jeff, I wish I could make it to MoKan but that will not happen for me this year.

Should people PM you to get your email?

Do you get PM email notifications from slant 6 .org? I know for a while there was a time when I did not get those.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:38 pm 

Quote:
I will be the coordinator for the Clay city race. I will reach out to them in the next few days.

Any info on the this race.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:47 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

I plan on getting there Friday after noon.
I will be camping at the track.
I would be up for a Friday race if there is enough interest.
I sure hope we can get enough word out.

Right now I THINK Rob Simmons and Seymour are making plans to show up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:52 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I was hoping to make it, but the missus just bought us tickets to take Pop to the Professional Bull Riding event the day of the race.
I’m sorry I can’t make it after all.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser