Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:19 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
DadTruck wrote:
your metal-body working skills are awesome,

very cool project you have going.. 8)

back in the day my dad had a 64 Dodge B body wagon that had those large air wings on the rear pillars..

The wind deflectors look great in my opinion but they are also functional for blowing dust away from the rear window and probably diverting some exhaust gas as well.

Thanks for the props on my metal skills, I'm still an amateur compared to some guys I know but I'm getting better all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:58 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Alright,I've been hard at it but most of my work has been pretty boring and tedious but the tailgate surgery was a big, daunting task that I have been ignoring for a while. Finding a gate was out of the question and even if I did find one it would probably still need a lot of work. So I started from scratch.
ImageI have a friend (just the one) with a home made sheetmetal brake and a plasma cutter, so we set to work forming a new skin.
ImageUpon removing all of the old cancer I discovered that all of the inner bracing was also disintegrating on the lower side. So I just re-braced it with flat stock. Image
Carefully tacked the new skin in place.Image
And started the slow and careful process of welding the skin to the old gate with a butt weld. This is really tricky over such a long span with such light metal. It really wants to warp.
ImageAll ground smooth and spot welded the inside of the pinch weld on the bottom. I have the trim piece on here to make sure that everything will look straight. I spent a few more hours after this just massaging the seam and attempting to get it as straight as I can. I think that it turned out pretty good. I really wish that I could have replaced the torsion bar spring but it just wasn't in the cards. Next up, epoxy primer and filler.

Stay tuned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:08 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1965 BARRACUDA FORMULA Six
Lookin good! As an aside, I read your original Esmerelda thread. I rescued her from behind the bar in Seattle, Installed the 46 way b body electric seat, spent a fortune on paint, flailed the 3 on the tree at SIR and Bremerton(got her into the 19's!) and passed her on to Chris & Mike. She was known as the Ticket Wagon then. The tailgate and rear passenger door youre working with came from Eduardo- the 64 Valiant wagon, the first car Chris ever raced. Love what youre doing- keep it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:43 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
geminimotors wrote:
Lookin good! As an aside, I read your original Esmerelda thread. I rescued her from behind the bar in Seattle, Installed the 46 way b body electric seat, spent a fortune on paint, flailed the 3 on the tree at SIR and Bremerton(got her into the 19's!) and passed her on to Chris & Mike. She was known as the Ticket Wagon then. The tailgate and rear passenger door youre working with came from Eduardo- the 64 Valiant wagon, the first car Chris ever raced. Love what youre doing- keep it up!

That is too cool, I flew to Seattle years ago with nothing but a bag full of random tools. Chris met me at the airport and we spent two days making the car "road worthy" but just barely at that. I then proceeded to drive it home to Nelson, about an 8 hour drive and when I got to the border with a giant folder full of crappy paperwork, they just flagged me through. I wouldn't want to deal with me much either. I'm probably on my fourth slant and third trans in this car. The three on the tree was fun but it eventually exploded, so we put in a 904 from a '66 Valiant. We have no intention of ever parting with this one so it made sense to make some extra efforts this time around. The old girl deserves it. Super cool to meet a former owner. Small world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:52 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I've been hard at it in the garage lately and Spring is looming fast. I managed to get my fenders, doors, tail gate and hood stripped clean and in epoxy primer, so they are all ready for bondo and top coat.. We have also settled on a primary color and I'm really digging it. It's been described as "grasshopper guts green", which is kinda fun. We have sprayed the final color on the inside of the doors. hood and gate, so I'm getting closer to mounting everything back on the car. One big hurdle that has been eating up a lot of my time has been creating boxes in the rear wheel houses to accommodate the rear window slides and glass. This was a concern when we opted to use the longer wheelbase donor car but the end result will be pretty slick I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:05 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Looking GOOD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:49 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Too Much :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:05 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1965 BARRACUDA FORMULA Six
Yo, whats the haps with Esmerelda? I visited Vashon at xmas and your name came up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:58 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
There was a guy at the moparfest in new hamburg in 2015 that made a 64 barracuda wagon with the same methods as you are using.

Cool projects and canooks have long enough winters to keep projects in the garage for a few months straight!

Awesome work so far.

Greg