Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Enter Sandman
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:18 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1975 Dodge D100
Hey everybody
I just gotta tell you about my new engine. I call it "Project Sandman". It's named for the project's benefactor, 64 Convert.
Attachment:
IMG_8882 2.JPG
IMG_8882 2.JPG [ 46.27 KiB | Viewed 2943 times ]

It's a 1964 225 with a forged crank, drool tube head, etc. I began tearing it down soon after getting it home. Along the way measurements were taken to calculate the static compression ratio. The pistons are .168 down the hole, combustion chambers are 61cc (dime spot casting). Using these numbers the SCR is 7.68:1.
The plan is to build it for street performance with shaved deck, cam regrind, oversized valves, and basic clean up on the head. I'll swap in my recurved distributor, HEI, custom two barrel intake and free-flowing 2.25" exhaust. I'll add a Dutra Dual with a modified rear manifold at some point.

Post subject: Re: Enter Sandman
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:58 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Looks like fun project. Thanks for sharing!

Lou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:58 am 
Contributor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant convertible 225 automatic
It looks so much better sitting on a stand waiting to come to life again. I'm really glad it went to someone who wants to do that!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:00 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1975 Dodge D100
The Sandman lives!
I set a goal to have the engine assembled, installed, running and driving by this past Saturday, 9/28/19 and I did it! But I know I couldn't have done it by myself...
First of all, I must thank everyone here on this board for sharing advice, knowledge and encouragement. Also, I gotta give a big THANK YOU! to Doug "Doctor Dodge" Dutra for putting his knowledge and experience into his excellent book that came out earlier this year. I found this resource invaluable in keeping me on track and I know it helped keep me from making mistakes on several occasions along the way. And finally, this project would've never got off the starting line without 64 Convert generously offering up an unused core engine free for the taking. I really appreciate it, sir.
Attachment:
SLANT SIX.jpg
SLANT SIX.jpg [ 56.56 KiB | Viewed 2854 times ]

This past week things really came together. I had taken off work to focus on getting this deal done. One surprise came the Friday before when I visited my machinist and learned that he had had carpal tunnel surgery and was recovering nicely. During that and the recovery, work piled up and things got placed on the back burner. This meant the drool tube head wasn't going to be done having big valves installed. "Plan B" was to swap the peanut head from the old engine. So that's what I did. Other pieces came over as well, all the brackets, water pump pulley, oil pan and pickup, manifolds, distributor, etc.
My son was able to join me Thursday evening. By that time, the engine was ready to go back in, and just before noon on Friday we started The Sandman for the very first time.
Saturday morning we both entered our pickups in the annual Pauls Valley PD car show.
Attachment:
PVShow.jpg
PVShow.jpg [ 53.36 KiB | Viewed 2854 times ]
We didn't earn any awards, (he won a door prize 8)) but we had fun and I had the only slant-powered vehicle in the show!
This project's been nothing but a blast so far, and I know it's not over yet.
Attachment:
SUPER SIX.jpg
SUPER SIX.jpg [ 72.84 KiB | Viewed 2854 times ]

I really need to update my sig. pic. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:07 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Excellent work!

Enjoy the Slanted drive...

Lou