Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:10 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Hi Dan, I never did buy one of those reports.

I probably never thought at the time that I would find one, let alone 2 '60-'62 valiants that I would eventually own.. Or maybe I was so uneducated that I was never interested in one, that is until I rode in one. They are quite the engineering feat. And just goofy enough that I like ' em a lot.

Thank you for shedding some er, uh, ahem, :idea: light on the subject.

I know you have never heard that one before, so feel free to chuckle with the eeeeeeeeeeevillll villain cackle or not.

Thanks for the info!

Greg

Post subject: 2/23/24
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:54 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
2/23/24:

I got the battery tray reasonably sorted. Welded in, and smoothed the patch. It's there but you probably can't find it in the picture. I did a repaint of the tray and the arms supporting it. It should be the engine compartment color, but I have no idea what color the car is now after the previous owner resprayed it some shiny metallic blue, so I just used rattle can goods.

I also cleaned up the hood latch/catch mechanisms. The upper part on the hood should be galvanised.. I lightly blasted it to remove all of the blue paint that the body shop covered it in. I hope the blasting did not remove much of the surface zinc.

The hood latch on the radiator yoke is supposed to be cadmium plated - so no luck on buying the plating kit for that yet. I will just paint that metallic silver for now and can easily unbolt and replate it later as needed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:40 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Blue battery pan is good for 0.25 off your 1/4-mile ET on the strip, and about 1/2 mpg on the street. Scientifical fact.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:41 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
good for 0.25 off your 1/4-mile ET on the strip

Then I'm putting one in my race car!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:15 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
psychological horsepower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:57 pm 

Car Model:
hyper_pak wrote:
psychological horsepower

That's the kind Chrysler used when the Slant-6 was new. That "101 horsepower" rating for the new 170 engine sure was convenient for the marketers, eh! A nice li'l one-up over a hundred horsepower. You get more…with Valiant! And the 225's nice, tidy, neat, ends-in-5 "145 horsepower" rating, again real nice for the marketers. In heavy-duty trucks and industrial applications, the same 225 with the same camshaft and a slightly bigger carburetor was rated 127 horsepower, pretty much bang-on with what GM found when they bought a 1961 Lancer, took the (aluminum) 225 out of it, and extensively tested it. My theory: horsepower numbers sell cars, and once the car's sold that number is irrelevant. But truck/industrial buyers have a real need to know what they're getting, hence the less-sexy, more-accurate numbers shown to them.

Psychological horsepower, then.

Post subject: 2/26/24
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:54 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
2/26/24:

I got a few more things detailed and accomplished over the weekend:

I realized when looking at the last picture, the previous shop did not detail the fender tag for some reason, so it was a bit rusty and nasty looking, I blasted it and tossed some blue paint on the tag and the screws.

I also installed the steering column, and did some sheet metal work, as some thin spots were hiding behind the ~1/4 of the factory sound deadener in some places.

I cleaned up the bulkhead connector and detailed the original bulkhead retaining clips.

I also set up some new terminals on my refurbished parking light. - I bought an open-barrel crimper tool and some Packard-style open-barrel crimp terminals from the local auto electrical store to perform a re-termination using female terminals on my parking light. I found a terminal housing that matched the parking light on my "scrap car wiring haness" it was out of something like a '78 New Yorker or something like that, so it has a lot of these odds n ends for many '60's-'80's Chrysler vehicles in a pinch. I think it has been hanging behind the man door in the house garage area for 20 years. It's a part that keeps giving.

I ordered some new hood insulation and Retaining clips from DMT. That cleaned up nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:37 pm 

Car Model:
Hey, interesting! Is the new DMT hood insulation pad die-cut like the original, with the triangular sections cut partway through the material to nest up into the underhood webbing? I ask because up to now all the repro '60-'62 Valiant-Lancer pads have not had that, so they don't nest with the webbing and take on a poofy/tufted appearance once clipped to the hood. I'm not seeing any of that on your install, hence my interest.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:33 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
What is the round hole for in the hood bracing for?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:15 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Rick Covalt wrote:
What is the round hole for in the hood bracing for?

Radiator Cap Clearance I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:06 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Hey, interesting! Is the new DMT hood insulation pad die-cut like the original, with the triangular sections cut partway through the material to nest up into the underhood webbing? I ask because up to now all the repro '60-'62 Valiant-Lancer pads have not had that, so they don't nest with the webbing and take on a poofy/tufted appearance once clipped to the hood. I'm not seeing any of that on your install, hence my interest.

Hi Dan, I was unaware that anyone even made reproduction hood pads for this car in North America. I am sure you know or can find out. I just did not want the hassle of doing all the research, as I assumed they would be hard to find and/or source from any place other than Australia or Argentina.

Because of my assumptions, I took the original one off of the hood, with the semi-die cuts on the topside that faces the metal hood, and placed it engine side down on a sheet of 8?' x 4' generic hood insulating pad that I bought from DMT, and then traced the original part's shape onto the new material and then cut it out and poked some holes in where the clips belong. I believe that the side that is supposed to face the engine compartment is facing the metal underside of the hood ( I did it backwards, not on purpose, just because I am a dumbass) and did not have enough raw material to do another tracing. and so I installed it that way.

So due to my ineptness and lack of restoration knowledge, it is not poofy and flat the way it should look.

So maybe restoration ineptness = restoration correctness??!?! (in this case)
:D :D

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:47 pm 

Car Model:
Repro pads are readily available in North America from REM Automotive, listed in the parts sources post. Part number is PLY-HIN-040 or DOD-HIN-075; same item under two different part numbers. No die cuts for the hood webbing. Shop around; different REM dealers have different prices on it.

AFAIK it's not available in Australia, and I know it's not available in Argentina (I sent two of the REM items down there last year, to the guy who would know if it were available locally to him).

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 12.44.51.jpg
Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 12.44.51.jpg [ 120.75 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 12.44.43.jpg
Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 12.44.43.jpg [ 125.53 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:46 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Repro pads are readily available in North America from REM Automotive

Good to know, I was too lazy to look and made my own. oh well, now I know.
Thank you again!

Post subject: 3/4/24
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:21 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
3/4/24:

I got some more things accomplished. Nothing super important, but fiddly stuff that takes time.

I am still waiting on parts to properly set the valve spring pressures on my head before I start to assemble the engine. That is the big hold-up on engine assembly for me right now.

I got the OE 3-speed bell housing all cleaned and ready for reassembly. As bell housings go this one was just as grimy inside as any other one I have ever come across.
Parts look good and I ordered a new clutch fork boot.
It is clean now and I found a damaged threaded hole. so I fixtured the part up on the drill press and set it up for heli-coil surgery.

The surgery went well - no problems.

Shiny:

I also spent a few hours back and forth futzing with the Crank Scraper - they always need to be adjusted to be close and correct without banging into the rotating assembly.

Lastly, I measured the pistons in the holes to begin to calculate the compression ratio.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:04 pm 

Car Model:
Izzit gonna still have the 3-on-the-tree when you're all done?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next