Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:27 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 61 Valiant 2 door post
I know I have read something about installing disc brakes on a 1960-61 Valiant here somewhere, but I cant find my way back to the topic!

I can purchase a complete set of spindles and brakes from a scrapped -64, but they will not be a direct fit if I remember right? Can it be done, or is it better to look into a modern conversion kit?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:15 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
I didn't think that they had disc brakes in 64 (on Valiants).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:55 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

The owner claimes its a 64, and I cant really see the diffrence from a 64 and a 65 whithout grille and taillights.....!

If I remember right there was a problem installing these on the early 60-61. But someone had a sullotion changing upper or lower ball joint. Or was it control arms?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:28 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
What a beautiful car. Not many two doors made it overseas. I used a Wilwood kit to put disc brakes on my 62. It used the stock 9" brake spindles and as I remember the caliper bracket bolted to the spindle which on a 62 has four holes in a rectangular pattern. I know the lower control arms and probably the ball joints are different on a 61 but the spindle itself might be similar. Somebody on the board will know. Meril Bruner would know in a minute but he doesn't go online.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:10 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Thank you! :oops: I did a better presentation of my car in the Slixers Gallery section: here

When talking about those ball joints and control arms:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Interchange groups are '60-'61 and '62-'66. Shocks, torsion bars, and maybe a couple other parts interchange across these groups, but ball joints, control arms, pitman and idler arms, drag links, steering boxes, K-frames, etc don't..

And that´s what worries me. But I do remember some one here had a clever fix for it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:24 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I wish I knew the answer. Unfortunately SlantSixDan is retired from the forums. Barring any better information, I would guess that if you can acquire the entire front end setup from the '64/65 including spindles and control arms, you could probably make it work.

The typical downside to the early 4-piston (Kelsey-Hayes) disc brakes is cost and availability of replacement parts, but in your country the later sliding calipers that are the preferred upgrade over here might not be any better in that regard.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:12 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Well Slant 6 Dan didn't specifically mention spindles so there is still hope!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:02 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
You can use the 64 setup on 61and it works great. Use the complete brake including spindle AND lower ball joint. You also nee the outer tie rod end for the 64. Use a dual manual disc brake MC from a early 70's A-body and an adjustable proportioning valve. This setup stops on dime and gives change on a early A-body. I see yoy have rally wheels,they will clear fine. 13's will not and some 14's will not clear. Good luck and happy Slantin. HHyperValiant

1974 Valiant (v8) daughter Kelly's work in progress

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:49 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
The earlier, Kelsey Hays ('65-'72), style disk brakes were a direct bolt on to my '61. When installing the later style ('73-76 Big bolt pattern) style on my '60 I had to have the lower ball joint hole in the lower control arm opened up with a tapered reamer (1/8" : 1") to accomodate the later lower ball joint. This was far easier than switching to the later lower control arms because the '60-'61 bodies do not have a clearance notch in the lower inside edge of the frame rails to clear the torsion bar adjuster arm in the later style lower "A" arms. Hope this helps.