Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:03 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
As mentioned in a post in "Other" the SPC upper control arms are well built HD units. Today the Firm Feel adjustable strut rods ordered the same time as the control arms were dropped off by UPS. Apparently FF has them manufactured by a local machinist. They are very robust, and well crafted, I am impressed.

Tomorrow I will install the new parts, and hopefully will be able to get a good alignment on the front end. Last fall a few days before putting the Dart into winter storage I installed a Borgeson steering gear and new PS pump and lines. My goal is to have a car that doesn't jerk left and right in the ruts worn into the pavement, and wear tires.

I asked a local owner of several Mopars (one is a very nicely done General Lee) where he gets his cars aligned, and will be calling that shop for an appointment on Monday.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:29 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
It's Sunday morning, and only the driver's side is back together. The torsion bar refused to move back, which hampered removal of the strut rod. The strut rod hammered application of hammer blows to the nut on the lower control arm to help dislodging the torsion bar. Add in the header collectors and double exhaust pipe occupying valuable space for tools to work, it was a struggle. Round and round it went, and finally things began to move to allow disassembly. Installing the new parts went nicely. This old creaking carcass ain't taking to working on a concrete floor for hours these days very well.

It has warmed up to 48*, so it's off to do battle on the passengers side this morning. Hopefully that torsion bar will move rearward with out a struggle.

82' LeBaron Convertible; the new Chrysler Corp

07' 300 C AWD; Now by Fiat, the old new Chrysler LLC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:04 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Keep it up, Bill! I bet you will be rewarded with happy, fresh handling...

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:01 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Lou:
Quote:
Keep it up, Bill! I bet you will be rewarded with happy, fresh handling...

I hope to hell, because I'm not enjoying suspension work as much as I did 16 years ago. 100 aspirin at Walmart is 97 cents, it the cheapest item on this project, and most welcome.

The passenger's side has gone much easier excepting removal of the old adjustable radius rod. Some knucklehead had jammed the lock nut to the adjustable shaft that it was impossible to break it free to make an adjustment. These rods are just a simple turnbuckle, rotate the center one way it lengthens, the other way it shortens. Lock one end and it can't make an adjustment. I don't know if it got a helping of red thread locker administered to it or what. Once the rod was out, and chucked up into a vice for better purchas it still wouldn't let go. I wonder if that has been a reason why that side would not get into speck?

Today I have one more nut to torque, dismount the torsion bar removal tool, and install the anti sway bar links. Then I shall attempt a home alignment using a Tenhulzen Automotive tool. Up to now I have only used it to set toe.

I'm off to my nonadjustable concrete bed for another day of laying around. The only nice thing is the garage is above 50* now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:55 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I got things all buttoned up, wheels back on, then sidetracked. Never got to messing with the alignment today. That will be tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:37 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
A few days ago I got the front end back together with the new parts. After taking a day or two off from the project, and then attempting a DIY alignment, I discovered when the left wheel was turned to the right the outer edge of the tire tread contacted the front fender opening just an inch above where the opening ends. I'm running Cooper Cobra P235/60 R15. Next set of tires will be a bit narrower

I had roughed in an alignment by eye, and a torpedo level to get things close before setting up the Tenhulzen tools. No amount of fiddling around with the adjustments would prevent the tire from contacting the fender's lip. It was actually biting into the lower end of the SS fender opening bright work. I had the same thing happen a few years ago after purchasing new tires and a front end alignment on the passenger's side. What I did was make a pie cut in the fender that moved the opening forward about 3/4 inch, and welded it up so no one could tell the lower opening had been messed with. I did the same to the driver's side yesterday. It is 3/4" x 5" long triangle, hence pie cut.

Once the tire was not rubbing, I performed an alignment getting is close enough to drive to the new shop recommended by a fellow Mopar owner. I could have dialed it in, but after all this frigging around I have had it with laying under the car on concrete and getting up over and over again...

The cut is now in primer, tomorrow I color coat the repair, reinstall the SS trim, and hang out until Apr 29th when the car goes up on the rack.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:18 pm 

Car Model:
Sounds like progress, Bill. Good luck at the alignment shop!

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:53 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Finally since I have owned this car, the wheel base is the same on both sides! The car runs down the street within factory settings. I had thus car since march of 2008, gone from factory stamped upper control arms, to installing Moog Problem solver bushings, then CCP tubular control arms with crappy dust boots that needed to be greased every 500 miles because that didn't seal, next came QA-1 arms, a very well designed unit, but I could not get enough cast adjustment with them even adding adjustable strut rods previously listed.

The SPC arms coupled with Firm Feel adjustable strut rods made it possible to bring the front end into spec.

I found a guy that knows how to line up a Chrysler torsion bar suspension. It took him 2 hours to dial it all in, and the car feels stable, no pull, and goes down the road straight. I'm pleased.

Now all I have to do is reinstall the anti-sway bar, and the two plastic dust guards that hang from the front frame rail forward of the tire. I left them off the make the line up guy's life easier turning wrenches.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:30 am 

Car Model:
Great news, Bill. Congratulations on a long struggle resolved! Happy Slanted motoring...

Lou