Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:34 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
My 66 Belvedere just went into the body shop to fix the minimal rust and dents. Putting the turbo/engine work on hold since I'm not really driving the car regularly yet. I am gathering my parts for the upgrade though.

Not sure how far I want to go on restoring it. Money is definitely a factor. It's original paint and I thought I might just fix the rust, blend in some color and leave what original paint exists. My buddy is doing the work and he's quite talented says to do it right because it's so nice. The car is very clean and he's already pulling out both the front and rear windshields because of slight rust and gasket breakdown. Decisions decisions. I'm not good at showing restraint. Lol

Just wanted to give some information on the car so it's understood where I'm going with the car. Here's the point.

I saw a picture of a Belvedere lowered with 18s and 20s on it. I was shocked, to say the least. I liked the way it looked...a lot! I spoke to a man at Coys and he guarantees proper fitment without rubbing. Rear wheel size is 20x8.5 with zero offset and a 275/35/20 and in the front a 18x7 with I think a 4 inch backspace (I have to double check that) with a 235/40/18.

At the risk of being the read the suspension, original intent and stupid look riot act, I'd like to consider doing this wheel and lowering treatment to the car. I understand there will be some necessary suspension upgrades as well brake upgrades needed.

Wilwood makes a 14", 6 piston front disc setup up. I thought since this car is getting the offenhauser 4bbl manifold eventually I might have room for power disc brakes. Because I'm turbo charging the car I was going to leave the rear and trans alone with those skinny little rear brakes. Not sure if that'll be sufficient. I may put an Explorer rear with the 3.27 gearing in it if I can find one while I'm building the car.

For now I can afford neither the performance upgrades or the brake and suspension upgrades just yet so I'm just going for a look and a stance as well as making the body solid and making it look nice. Would love some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. Lol. Based on my post though I welcome all your honest, sincere feedback...please be kind. Lol

I plan on selling a few sets of wheels I have to finance the new wheels. I'm also considering using some fiberglass parts to get the car down in weight. Even though quarter miling won't be what's it's about the weight savings will help with suspension and performance obviously. That would be contingent on being able to sell my front end and deck lid. If I paint entire car this is a serious consideration which is why I didn't want to paint the whole car and just do the metal repairs and touch up here and there for now. I could save 200 - 300 lbs. By doing so. My car is currently rated at 3000 lbs though I haven't gotten it to a scale yet.

I know the rear wheels are 12 lbs heavier than what's on the car now and the fronts are 2 lbs heavier. I also know that I'll need to strengthen and gusset areas of the car if I'm really going to be able to do some spirited driving. I want this car to handle well, have some good available power but this car will not be an off the line drag car though I'd like to be able to smoke some of the cars i cone up against in traffic. More of a road car I guess.

I like things a little different. No one seems to do these cars the way in describing. I know a lot of you don't like this treatment from reading some of the posts. I'm sorry. Please don't judge me. I'll try and load the picture I saw so you might understand what possessed me. It wasn't my fault. I was all set to leave my 14s in the car and then this!

Last edited by B Body Bill on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:13 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
If you have a dream, follow it. Damn the torpedoes and the nay sayers. Big ball of wax here for upgrades. Get your car on a scale as it will be plenty more than 3000lbs. Pics of wheels+tires?

Brakes, then shocks + tbars would be likely the best upgrades following the wheels. Do lots of measuring before you buy wheels+tires... 13" brakes would be plenty, and yes, rear discs do matter and that would be a nice upgrade.

Too much to answer here...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:34 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:

1966 Plymouth Belvedere II 2dr hdtp

Both slant 6 cars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:50 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:

Both slant 6 cars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:48 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Now we can see you are not fooling around... You will want some boost to move that big shiny car.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:35 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I'll need it. I'll also need good brakes and suspension upgrades. This is the course I'm choosing for the Belvedere... So it is written, so it shall be done!

Both slant 6 cars