Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:26 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
was looking around at stuff this morning and came across the ram man's videos. He explained that would need brake booster if one was to put disc brakes on a manual brake drum car or would actually take longer to stop?

is this true? and if so is his booster kit the way to go? http://therammaninc.com/products/shop_v ... it-Kit-383

thanks for all the help

I had printed out some of the advice I had received on my front end suspension work fortunately, but lost the last few comments. glad to have the site up again.

austin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:03 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
More info, please: what kind of car are you working on, what disc brakes are you considering installing, and are you thinking about a front disc/rear drum setup, or a 4-wheel disc setup?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:24 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I intend to have front disc and rear drum brakes(8 3/4 rear end with 10 x 2 1/2).

Front disc will be one of either two kits
1- http://www.doctordiff.com/10.95-front-d ... e-kit.html
2- http://www.doctordiff.com/front-disc-br ... ckles.html

The car is a 69 valiant slant six manual steering intended for a daily/weekend driver by both my wife and I.

Planning entire suspension upgrade with new rubber, leaf springs, torsion bars, and sway bar.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:19 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
just following up to see if anyone has any suggestions as to whether or not I should go with a brake booster?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:05 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
That's weird…I answered after you gave the additional information, but either it didn't post or it didn't stay posted.

The answer is: No, you do not have to have a booster with a front disc/rear drum setup. Whether or not you install a booster, you'll want to pick your components (master cylinder, distribution block/metering-proportioning valve, front caliper and rear cylinder bore diameter, booster if you opt for one) thoughtfully. If you don't, you'll make problems for yourself: stiff pedal/insufficient travel/hard to stop, soft pedal/excessive travel, "touchy" brakes that grab too hard, rears too easy to lock up, etc.

I know nothing about that booster you linked, but right away I'm suspicious: he lists it for A-bodies as well as full-size Dodge pickups. A booster appropriate for a pickup truck stands a high likelihood of being oversize (too much boost) for a much lighter-weight A-body car, and the linkage ratio also would seem to be either/or (truck OR car, not both). Instead I'd probably go for an actual A-body booster and bracket setup of one kind or another, rebuilt by Booster Dewey.

The 10.95" kit you linked will be plenty of brake. See to it that you get the '76+ calipers (2.75" bore) rather than the '73-'75 calipers (2.6" bore).

10" rear brakes are usually 10" × 1.75" (the 10" × 2.5" is the usual size of front 10" drums). Install 13/16" rear wheel cylinders to prevent premature rear lockup; see here (and links from there).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:06 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Thanks for the advice!