Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
That's why I come to this site! To get good advice and give it when I can. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:08 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
Well here is a lil' more! While researching rebuilding boosters and such I came across Ed Strain, Inc. and this but of advice:
What do I do if my brakes are really touchy?
Your brakes are touchy because this is actually how the original manufacture made them. I can remember my dad teaching me how to drive and I would send him into the dash a few times.Remember that you have gotten accustomed to softer brakes from newer cars or your old brakes being so used. There are really just two options.1. You learn how to drive the car with the new brakes the way they are or
2. You can lessen the amount of vacuum assistance to the booster by clamping the 3/8″ ID hose slightly to reduce the vacuum.Keep in mind that for option 2 there is a fine line between the perfect amount of vacuum and NO vacuum at all so be careful.''

Upon reading this I went out armed with various clamps and selected a small C-clamp and started clamping down on the vacuum hose to the booster. it took a few attempts to get it just right but it made a huge improvement. Now my brakes seem much more normal without the hypersensitive assist the had before. I'm thinking for a more finished installation I could fab some sort of inline restricter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:39 pm 
Supercharged

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for that info.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:08 pm 
Supercharged

ARGH! Not solved yet! The self-applicaiton problem is gone, but the brake pedal still doesn't come all the way back when warm and the brake lights stay on. When the brakes are cold, the system is fine and the pedfal returns to the point that the brake lights turn off. However, once the brakes warm up the brake pedal no longer returns fully and the brake lights stay on. What the heck?!?!

The only thing I can think of is air trapped in the lines that expands enough when the fluid heats up to allow the pedal to not reutrn fully. Does that sound plausible? :| :x Will a thorough bleeding session cure the problem?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:37 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
No, that doesn't sound plausible to me. I still think the problem is in your booster.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:53 pm 
Supercharged

That is possible. I believe it is the original 36 year old booster that sat outside in Seattle for over ten years. I sure that didn't so the diaphragm any good. I guess I will bite the bullet and either send it down to Booster Dewey or buy one from him outright, if possible. Short term workaround is wrapping electrical tape around the brake pedal arm so the plunger on the stoplight switch gets pushed in farther when the pedal returns to rest. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:37 pm 

Car Model:
The diaphragm is one item inside the booster, which also contains various valves and valve seats and springs and breathers and other stuff that can go wrong either from use or from non-use. I had my share of '73-'75 A-body booster swapping some years back; Dewey explained there's a valve and seat in there that needs regular exercise; it really hates sitting for prolonged periods. 36 years is a pretty good run for a booster, whether it's been used or sitting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:00 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Add a few of these to the brake pedal:

8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:13 am 
Supercharged

Bungee cords are a tempting repair, but I ned to get it fixed right. I will be sending both the original booster for my Ramcharger and the original booster for my 76 D100 down to Booster Dewey.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:44 pm 

Car Model:
Call 'im first and make sure he doesn't say something unpleasant like "Ohhhhh, those...can't get the parts".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:11 pm 
Supercharged

Will do. I am about to start using this Ramcharger as my daily driver, so I might see if I can just buy one off him outright.