Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:49 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: Lancers
Are the front suspension components and k frame the same for 60 - 62 A body (Dodge Lancer- Ply Valiant) and 63 - 66 A bodies? I am thinking that they are different but hoping they are the same.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:59 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Interchange groups are '60-'61 and '62-'66. Shocks, torsion bars, and maybe a couple other parts interchange across these groups, but ball joints, control arms, pitman and idler arms, drag links, steering boxes, K-frames, etc don't.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:10 pm 
TBI Slant 6

I am assuming my 62 Lancer or Valiant is in the 60 - 61 category as the 62 Dart is larger. Looking to find a front suspension system with rack and pinion steering for my Lancer. I would like more room in the engine compartment. Thanks Dan.

I am having a good day. I am alive and not bankrupt. I am not sure how much longer I will be either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:05 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
moparfrank wrote:
I am assuming my 62 Lancer or Valiant is in the 60 - 61 category as the 62 Dart is larger. Looking to find a front suspension system with rack and pinion steering for my Lancer. I would like more room in the engine compartment. Thanks Dan.

No, you have the later suspension. A 1962 Dart is a B-body. If you want more room in the engine compartment a B-body is one way to go. So is a '67+ A-body. Rack and pinion steering gets you a small amount of room in one important area (the clutch and exhaust passage area) and less in relatively less important areas like the idler arm swing. It's a huge amount of work and expense for little gain and has typically only been done by rabidly weight conscious racers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:26 pm 

Car Model:
moparfrank wrote:
I am assuming my 62 Lancer or Valiant is in the 60 - 61 category

No, your '62 Lancer is in the '62-'66 group. The '60-'61 Valiants and Lancers are the '60-'61 group.

The '62 Dart has nothing to do with this discussion; it's a B-body.

Quote:
Looking to find a front suspension system with rack and pinion steering

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:19 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Ok thanks. Then a HDK front suspension for a 64-66 A body should work. While I am not rabidly weight conscious, any weight reduction would be good. It will allow more room for the headers and turbo and custom intake.

I am having a good day. I am alive and not bankrupt. I am not sure how much longer I will be either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:05 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Pay attention Frank!
Will and Jack said you came by, glad you got over to see them, good people.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:17 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Hi Stan,
I can't afford to pay attention. All good people. I haven't found a bad slant 6er yet. I watched Jack's car at Tusla. Impressive, we now have a Mopar that can compete with all the Chevs at Street Outlaws no prep Kings.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:56 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I'm in the same boat as OP{.
The RMS Reilly kit for other mopars is well built and proven, but maybe a bit pricey for some.
I thought Bill toyed with an early A body solution.
I sent him an email a few weeks back askiing about my 62 Lancer to convert.
I did not get a replly, and will recontact them.
So it appears the 62 Lancer IS interchangeable with later cars, K frame, did not know or expect that.

On the 62 Dart B body, its my understanding, when built it was not a designated "B" body, but since it shared so much with later designated real B body cars, it was retro lettered, to confuse matters further :D .

https://www.reillymotorsports.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:45 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Personally, I am a torsion bar fan. It is hard to beat, even with late model suspensions, for handling and weight distribution. If you want wt reduction and header clearance, then maybe AlterKtion or similar is the way to go. I would not dream of changing my tbar suspension for handling.

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:46 am 

Car Model:
jcc wrote:
On the 62 Dart B body, its my understanding, when built it was not a designated "B" body, but since it shared so much with later designated real B body cars, it was retro lettered, to confuse matters further

One can find all kinds of made-up fairytales (and poorly-understood half-truths presented as fact) on the internet. In printed books, too; for another example see here for the fairytale and then here for the facts of the matter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:45 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
Dart270 wrote:
Personally, I am a torsion bar fan. It is hard to beat, even with late model suspensions, for handling and weight distribution. If you want wt reduction and header clearance, then maybe AlterKtion or similar is the way to go. I would not dream of changing my tbar suspension for handling.
Lou

I agree, the weight of the springs and their mounts are situated very low on the chassis with the Mopar design.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:58 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Jcc, in case they are not visible, there are links in Dan's sentence (the words "here"). I think that some people cannot see these links, but they are highlighted with dark red, bold font, and underlined. I have no cat in this fight, but am just trying to possibly be helpful about the information.

Dan, since someone had pointed out earlier they could not see these links, perhaps you might consider that some people cannot see your links.

Carry on....

Lou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:13 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thank you, I guess the facts/fairy tales are encased in those those two links/books.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:33 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
In the 1962 Service Manual, #61-270-2081, for Dodge covering Lancer, Dart, Polara 500, dated 10-61, with 673 printed pages, I can find not a single reference to the designation "A" body, nor "B" body. Since I am tasked with trying to prove a negative, make what you will of Mopar not using this letter body labeling in 1961.