Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:56 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
After completing my Disc Brake conversion on my 1964 Dart GT I have an annoying rattle coming from the Calipers.
-I bent the tabs on the outside pad so it would fit snug.
-I bent the retaining clips so they would put downward pressure on the calipers.
-I bent the small tab that presses on the inside shoe, but noting seems to stop the Rattle!
Any Help or Suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated as Always.-Dan

1975 Dart Spindles
1978 Cordoba Caliper Brackets(for 11.75 discs)

Post subject: And....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:26 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
A couple tricks to know that aren't in the books....

One that help quiet new pads on the shoes is to put a ring of Brake Quiet on the back of the pads before it seats on the piston or caliper...basically it's like RTV but makes things a little quieter... mostly for squeal or 'singing' when lightly using the pedal to slow down.

Depending on how cheap the current kits are these days...Mopar used to use, and some Raybestos kits came with the anti rattle rubber band that you can install (I stopped using them because I typically never had anything rattle, and after some road time they got old and stiff like old rubber bands and typically wore out and fell off)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:35 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Those rubber band things did nothing! I thought they were just to hold the back pad on the caliper until it was installed.(no instructions or manuals for discs)
The problem is the Caliper (Slide, not pin type) rattling against the caliper adapter. Having not had an older car with disc brakes, I have nothing to compare it to.

Post subject: interesting..
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:04 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
I installed the ebay front disc brakes, bent the tabs, but otherwise did nothing, not rattles whatsoever....

fyi,,

b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:18 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The lip the caliper and bracket slide against each other with are wear surfaces. If they are overly worn, your only choice is to build them up with something. Maybe weld and machine them flat. I believe certain versions of the bracket are reproduced too.

I'm having a hard time believing that something that heavy can rattle. Perhaps just semantics... clunk, squeak maybe... but a rattle? Sorry, don't mean to be argumentative or picky... but if it is indeed a rattle then I doubt it's coming from that point.

Any chance the clip is flipped over? If memory serves me the clip will fit but will put 0 pressure on the caliper. On both my cars with the clips the right way, the clips were bent so they wouldn't sit flush just holding them by hand and the screw when tightened would bring them down flat, applying the pressure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:28 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Pierre- Clunk would be an adequate descriptive word also, but Rattle is good too. You cannot go much of anywhere in my town without driving on a Brick Street.(That where I get the rattle from)
Clips are installed just like every picture I have Googled of them.
The wear of the adapters is something I had not thought about, and they did come off of a High Mileage Cordoba.
I have bent the retainer clips so that they firmly contact the calipers, but it has not seemed to make much difference. Again, I appreciate any input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:13 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Mine has always done that, it gets worse going down steep grades. As far as I know there is no fix. Also they squeal when they get hot. The type of pads don't seem to matter.

Welcome to '70s technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:52 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
kesteb - I've got no "squeal" problems, and if I am going down a steep grade or if I have any slight pressure on the pedal they do not rattle/clunk.
I am surprised that no one makes a better quality Retaining Clip. I went to the local Dodge dealer and showed them what I bought at O'Reilly's and they said theirs were no different and probably came from the same manufacture!(in China!) :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:06 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
The problem is likely wear on the brackets....I have the same late B brakes and have no squeal or clunks.
.....but my stuff is pretty low mileage and was well maintained.

The clips can only take up so much slack.

Try new calipers ,,,,,and if necessary replace or buildup the brackets.,,,,or live with the clunks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:42 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
Welcome to '70s technology.

for what it's worth,, that same brake caliper mounting technology is used on the 83 D150,, no caliper rattles or squeaks,,

also, I did a 73+ front disk brake conversion on the 68 Barracuda,,
there to, no caliper rattles or squeaks,,

so using parts from that period does not mean that you have to have brake noise issues.

1) as mentioned before, are you sure you have the retaining clip, that you showed in a post above positioned correctly,
2) IIRC, there is a smaller clip that goes under the bolt head of the main retaining clip,
3) I lightly go over the mating lands of the caliper bracket and caliper to with a flat file to be sure they are smooth, run freely together, then give the lands a very light coat of never seize.
4) with the caliper piston retracted, , no pads installed, the calipers should move smoothly across the bracket with hand pressure
5) with the pads installed, retaining springs installed, system bled and having stepped then released the brake pedal, you should not be able to move the caliper away from the bracket with normal hand pressure.

Post subject: rubber band deally's
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:08 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
The rubber bands aren't to temporarily hold the pads in place, they go around the lip where the slider mechanism is. Before you put the caliper onto the slider surfaces, put the rubber bands around the portion of the slider bracket. See here:

http://s785.photobucket.com/user/67dart ... v.jpg.html

These are anti-rattle O-rings. See "O-ring" in diagram, also make sure to grease the slider surfaces.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:04 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Interesting! I always thought that band was for a different application the kit fit, kinda like how the rear seal is the same part for a 225 and 426. I'll see if I still have those boogers, may have tossed them. Thanks for sharing Brian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:25 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
This is odd for me as I use the same caliper on my '79 D100 without the O-ring and have no noise whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:45 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
If it is wear on the slider that is causing it you should be able to easily see it. I would think it would have to be a substantial amount of wear to cause it?
I have the same setup on both my trucks, my race car and Ryan's Dart and I have never even see that rubber band. And I don't have any rattles either.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:07 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Thanks Brian - I have not seen that picture of the "rubber bands" installed. Hopefully I will get a chance to check them out this weekend!