Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:31 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Hi all.
I've got a '63 Valiant super six with .93 T bars, poly bushings, BBP front and rear supension. I've also got a '64 Dart, factory 273 car with v8 torsion bars (smaller than .93, bigger than sixers) SBP, and 9" drilled drums and drilled backing plates (works a charm!) with a 7.25 rear. In my cache of parts is a full factory KH disc setup off of a '69 signet.

The Dart's currently got a slant in it. (dumb story). I've found all the early A v8 parts to throw my first engine in it ('68 318). I want to rebuild the suspension, throw the KH discs on, and change the gearing. My question is this.

Is there anything that's come out in the last 5 years I wasn't paying attention to, that enables me to beef up the rear without changing bolt patterns? I've already got the small bolt discs, and people suddenly think that crusty post '72 A bodies are worth a mint, with or without the discs. Has somebody figured out a better axle swap? As far as I know, the only thing I can do is go BBP, or find a Barracuda formula S sure grip (eliminates the tinfoil spider gears). I've been toying with the idea of swapping suspensions between the Valiant and Dart, but that's more work and I don't wanna.

Thanks in advance
Matt

84 Cherokee 2 dr
86 Dodge W-150
73 Volvo 144
74 Volvo 145
81 Volvo 245

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:45 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Sure Grip units and decent gears turn up for the 7-1/4 quite often. Be patient and you will score one.

Finding a small bolt 8-3/4 is not as hard as it used to be, but most still think they are gold.

You might be able to do an 8.8 Ford and have Moser do some custom axles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:19 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
slantzilla wrote:
Sure Grip units and decent gears turn up for the 7-1/4 quite often. Be patient and you will score one.

Problem is, the clutches are usually not in the greatest condition, and I have not seen any clutch kits for sale in several years. Also the spider gears, and axle end gears (different then open rear) are pricey, when found. The cross shafts are made of unobtainium. My advice, don't spend money on a 7 1/4. (I'm actually a fan of the 7 1/4).

If you want big bolt pattern, consider a early Mustang V-8 8 inch rear. Almost a bolt in. Not real plentifull, but affordable, and parts are available.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:21 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Thanks for the responses

I don't want big bolt pattern, as that's more parts I'd have to find for both the front and the rear. Also, because everybody thinks that everything that's over 25 years old is gold. Seriously, people are asking over a thousand for rusted out '90 D100s with no drivetrain. The mind boggles. The cheapest way I'd be able to find big bolt pattern stuff is to buy a clapped out '73 four door with discs, and people want waaay too much for that. Don't even get me started on the piranha feeding tank that is forabodiesonly.. I've got a job, I can't sit on a computer all day so I can be the first one to call dibs...

I've never owned a car less than thirty years old.. It started out as a fun way to get around, and drive something with a little soul and style. Nowadays, it's just getting frustrating because there's thirty reality tv shows about fixing and flipping classic cars, and all of the televised auctions. People think they're going to be the next junkyard millionaire because they've got a ratty Nova in the backyard. I got into mopars, because they were cheap, and you never saw any on the roads (over twenty years ago). Now they're out of my price range. even four door sedans. Whatever, I realize this is a hobby for most, but I'm just trying to get to work in the morning.

Sorry about the rant.. I'm just frustrated about price gouging and the lack of quality parts.. And my Valiant's ICM is about to die, and shut down in traffic 5 times this morning, speaking of chinesium parts..

64 Dart 270

73 Fury II

84 Cherokee 2 dr

86 Dodge W-150

73 Volvo 144

74 Volvo 145

81 Volvo 245