Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:34 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1966 Plymouth Valiant
This is more of a PSA for anyone who owns an early (62-66) A-body Slant 6 car optioned with power steering.

The Federal/Lares style side-bolt PS pumps are now apparently made from unobtainium. Cardone no longer makes, remanufactures, or warranties either the AC or non-AC optioned pumps (I could still get the non-AC pumps 2-3 years ago). Being they are the major (if not sole) supplier to nearly every chain parts store, they are becoming scarcer than hens teeth. I haven't even been able to locate a rebuild kit for one (but that may be due to poor part # matching on my end).

I just recently spent $50 on one pump from an old antique vehicle junkyard an hour away, and it was at some point a shelf part of dubious quality, origin, and viability that had been lost in stock and I just lucked out and found in a huge pile of parts. Sold without any guarantee. Thankfully, after proper care and preventative measures, it works, so my car has power steering finally for the first time in who knows how long. I managed to get lucky a couple days later and spotted another one in a facebook marketplace parts car, and ordered/paid $60 for that one as a backup. Again, dubious quality, no guarantee.

So, in summary (for those who TLDR), if you have an early PS pump on your SL6 A-body, treat it like it's made of glass. Baby it. And if you can get a backup that won't cost you a second mortgage, do so. May not be able to get them much longer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:59 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
We cannot reasonably expect to walk in a parts store and buy parts for a 60-year-old car, number one. Number two, Cardone's stuff has always been garbage, not worth buying anyhow.

So, do your shopping here or here or here or etc.

Three: the early cars used Thompson/TRW pumps. Saginaw pumps began phasing in starting in '65, with totally different bracket/mount setups, though the Thompson pump carried on alongside the Saginaws for a few years. Some later-production ('68-up) cars used Federal pumps that fit some of the Thompson/TRW brackets. Can't guess where that "Lares" name you mention might have come from.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:06 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1966 Plymouth Valiant
/\ This guy, listen to what this guy says.

What I was attempting to say (rather poorly, and now translating from the additional information you have provided) is that you can't get the Thompson or Federal pumps anymore from chain stores; the Federal being a recent discontinuation.

All of those sources are fantastic. My information was applying primarily to folks like myself who have an extremely limited budget. In my case due to family concerns.