Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: hub centric spacers?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:53 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 85 d100, 225 year unknown.
Hi all, I put some wheels on my 85 d100. They have the Ford center hub size, so larger than the d100.

I just want to get some opinions or experience based insights. Is the lug bolt circle capable of accurately centering the wheel or should I get a ring to make up the difference?

So far it seems ok. It doesn't shake any more than it did before.

Post subject: Re: hub centric spacers?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:10 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
Is the lug bolt circle capable of accurately centering the wheel

A lot of aftermarket wheels are centered by the lug nuts. I am running Pro Stars on my truck and they are centered by the lugs. Draw them up evenly and torque to spec.

Post subject: Re: hub centric spacers?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:50 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I know that Ford's 5 on 4-1/2 stock steel wheels from the 70s had a smaller hub hole than Mopar did on theirs, as when I had my driver's permit one of the first times I got to drive Mom's 73 fury wagon we were on the interstate and one of the tires got a bulge in it, we pulled over and changed it on the shoulder. When we got to where we were going there was a junkyard across the street from where we were headed.
After we were done at farm and fleet we went across to the junkyard and Dad asked about a mounted wheel and tire to fit our car. The guy said he didn't have any mounted Chrysler wheels at the time but had some odd an LTD the size we needed. I remember the guy in the yard getting the torch out and taking the center out of the rim. He was really good with the torch and "just" took the center raised part out, and it went right on our wagon ... I think that wheel/tire wound up in the spare rack ... But it did fit after torching out the center.

And 8 lug I remember Dodge and Ford swapping out (as long as both were front disc brakes) but stock Chevy 8 lug had a smaller center hole.