Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum upgrade!
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:18 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:58 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model*: D150
Hello /6 community,

I am probably the newest member and maybe the greenest, but I learn fast and fully explore options so I can teach my son what I learn. I picked up my first project truck 80 - D150 Slant 225 from a previous owner that not only did not take care of it - there was an unpleasant amount of Jerry-rigging (I found a home depot ball valve used to replace the heater valve, I also found roofing nails used for the pin on the clutch, etc.) I can see there is a lot of work ahead and I will take no area for granted.

I am finding it extremely difficult (perhaps impossible) to locate things like a dash (mine is rotted and cracked / almost non-existent) or fuse box, or suspension parts (alignment issue).

Now to the question for your advice: Where can I source very hard to find parts?

I already scour Rock Auto, LMC Truck, JC Whitney, Auto Zone, O'Reiley's, Pick-A-Part, U-Pull-It, and Craigslist on a regular basis. Currently I tore the engine down to the block due to a hard core emission failure so I wanted to see the insides to determine the future, and aside from 35 years of sludge the block and head are in good shape (both checked by machine shop). I have 3 push rods that look like the ends are smashed in so I think I will verify the cam position and lobes, verify the solid lifters, and check the timing chain stretch before I reassemble just to be sure.

Any other advice before getting too far and having to back track to do or re-do something?

Thanks in advance for your expertise - NGS