Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 65 Dart Oil Pickup
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:42 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 65 Dodge Dart
So I'm looking into purchasing a 65 Dart with the 225. The guy is saying that the oil pickup is blocked.

I'm wondering how easy a fix that should be, and if there's anything else I should be on the lookout for.

Post subject: Re: 65 Dart Oil Pickup
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:56 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Not very, and a lot.

In all seriousness, if the oil pickup is blocked you can unbolt the motor mounts and raise the engine to remove the oil pan. Preferably with a hoist, but you can also use a jack under the oil pan with a wide block of wood to spread the weight out. Then set it back down with blocks under the motor mounts to give you clearance between the oil pan and K-member. Once the pan is off, you can examine the pickup and remove it if necessary, plus clean any garbage out of the pan.

The issue is that if the oil pickup is blocked, god only knows how much damage was already done to the engine before the owner figured that out. Personally, I would run away screaming unless you're okay with the strong possibility of a complete engine rebuild.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:00 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Assume the engine is toast, and purchase, accordingly. There must be a reason he says it is blocked. Such as no oil pressure, noises from the engine, etc. When you get the car, Check out the oil pressure problem, yourself. If there are no bad noises from the engine, it might just be a bad pressure sender. If it really has bad/no oil pressure, it would probably be best to pull the engine. The pan can be pulled with the engine in the car, but it is a bear. If the owner knows the pickup in blocked, there is probably other things that need being done internally, anyway. Maybe just swap engines.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:57 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 65 Dart, 225, 4 spd od, hyd clutch, BBD, 2 1/4 exh
"Check out the oil pressure problem, yourself. If there are no bad noises from the engine"

Follow that advise by unscrewing the oil pressure sender/sensor that turns on the dash red light; it's located behind the oil filter and has wire slid onto it.

Screw in a gauge and start the engine; look for pressures above 20 psi with 40 being an OK number for a worn motor to rule out that "plugged oil pickup" issue.

If you find the oil pressure is OK then you know you might have to replace the oil pressure sender/sensor and/or wiring/connections to the gauge light and/or light if you get the car.

1965 Dart 110k, 225, Carter BBD Super Six, 2 1/4 single exh., sbp manual scarebird front disc, 7 1/4 rear 2.94 sure grip, 14 x 4.5 OEM wheels, 833 OD with hyd. throwout bearing, HEI, electric fan, ram air/heated air, Accusump. http://plymouthcarclub.com/