Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:52 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I have a red block that is supposedly from a Clark Cortez RV. Would it have any of these desireable parts, and how would I confirm what I have is actually the better valves, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:34 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
steponmebbbboom wrote:
How about a marine/industrial Slant?
Shot peened crank, loose bottom end with high flow oil pump, forged slugs, copper coated rods and glyptal coated block interior. Not to mention stellite valves, rotacaps, and factory double roller timing chain.

That's not quite how it worked.

There was no "Marine/Industrial" slant-6. There were several different versions of the engine for marine service.

Yes, I am aware of that...

Quote:
The only slant-6 to get Stellite exhaust valves and Rotocaps was the 225-3, which was the heaviest-duty truck/bus engine,

I remember you mentioning the denomination, but not the application. Interesting.

Quote:
Glyptal-coated block?

Forged pistons: Nope, never from the factory.

Copper-coated rods? Think you're thinking of the bronze external water pump that was used in the marine versions. There were no such rods.

This information admittedly came from my rebuilder. Perhaps he had another marine engine in mind when he said this, but it would make perfect sense to me. Corrosion prevention in a marine engine, particularly one used in saltwater, would be much more of a design consideration than one used on land. The pistons, who knows; mine are Federal Mogul and he got those pistons by APPLICATION. Maybe the application is a fabrication, but I know they fit like a glove, they are forged and I think theyre the cats ass. :)

Quote:
"Loose bottom end" you're making up.

Quote:
"High flow oil pump" was really a high-volume oil pump.

This is more semantics than anything else. Flow and volume may not be exactly the same thing, but they are close enough. Most hydraulic pumps are specced in gallons per minute flow rating at a certain RPM rather than "volume" or "displacement" per revolution though that is sometimes included on the spec sheet. What an engineer really is concerned with are the flow ratings at X RPM and X pressure. My understanding is that the high "whatever" pump was in concert with the looser main bearing tolerances (it was small, say two thou rather than one) so that more oil could pass through the bearings and keep things cooler. I don't know what book he got his specs from, but he showed it to me, to help me understand this relationship between the big pump and the loose bearings (I think at the time I was thinking the looser clearances were for heat expansion? I know better now) In any case, my rotating assembly is dynamically balanced, I have the 1" Melling with a hardened gear (thanks to DD for the specs, we got someone local to case harden it to your specs) and two thou on the mains. The slugs are forged and the rods are Glyptalled, rather than copper plated. I missed out on the rotacaps, valves and roller chain, but I at least have nickel seats in there, and I doubt I made things any worse. The way I take care of it it'll outlive me.

Post subject: color
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:28 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Check out Mopars Golden Commando color.
They used this color in the early 60's.
It's a cool gold color.

Post subject: Paint colors for engines
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:06 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1962 Lancer 770
I found this link recently that I thought might help people

MyMopar.com Engine Paint Guide

MJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:28 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
NewLancerMan wrote:

Errors...lots and lots of errors...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:55 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
NewLancerMan wrote:

Errors...lots and lots of errors...

Indeed....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:04 am 
Turbo EFI

well ah shucks! Mine is red ;-)

MJ

Post subject: MyMopar.com
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:10 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Well I appreciate the attempt, nonetheless, NewLancerMan.

Post subject: Such a Newb
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:21 pm 
Turbo EFI

Paint the big L next to my engine too please ;-)

Post subject: Mine is...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:59 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
BLUE!! is a ´71 engines, with red manifolds

Valiant Duster 1971

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:20 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:

It certainly is, especially since they engineered and developed the updates...just didn't put them into production. :-(

Pray tell Dan - what updates? :D

http://www.valiant50.co.za
Just say I own a few Mopars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:06 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
440_Magnum wrote:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Slant-6 colo(u)rs from the factory:

Metallic dark turquoise: 1960-'61 Plymouth-Dodge full size cars, North American market

Silver: 1961 (RV1) Valiant, Australian market

Red: 1962-68 all passenger cars, all markets, plus 1960-61 Valiant/Lancer, North American market.

Blue: 1969-1983 all passenger cars & trucks, North American market

Green: 1967-1969, w/2bbl carb, Australian market

Orange: 1967-19??, w/2bbl carb, South African market

Yellow: 1961-early 1969 truck/bus, North American market

Black: 1984-up, all applications, North American and probably other markets

Do you happen to know if the blue to black conversion might have been a mid-year 1983 deal?

The sl6 I owned was in an 83 M-body, and it was black. I'm certain it was the original engine, too, because it was an ex-highway patrol car (before someone laughs, NO it wasn't a cruiser it was an "administrative vehicle" :P ) and came with complete maintenance records, just like the ex-cruisers did. No engine change.

Either way, its unforgivable how they strangled the poor SL6 and failed to update it by 1983. I don't think its top speed was much over 75 MPH, and one time I couldn't even maintain 70 into a headwind. And to add insult to injury, we had a nearly-identical car except for being 318-powered that actually got BETTER gas mileage :cry: But, it was utterly reliable as always (so was the 318 car for that matter).

Just to add my 2 cents to this old post, In 1981 I worked in a fleet service dept of MT&T (telco) and most of the Vans bought that year were Dodges, powered by slant sixes. All were hydro motors and the first shipments had blue motors, later (March?) were painted black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:12 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

But as long as we're here anyway, I'd like to pose a semi-related question. I have one of the yellow engines (well, it used to be yellow, it's sorta rust-colored now...:oops:) from a '67 Dodge van, so as I understand it, that should have the shot-peened crank in it, correct? Is there any difference in that crank other than metallurgy-wise, i.e., will it fit in any other 225 block I can come up with? I have a late-style 225 block (I assume it's just the light duty version - it's blue) waiting to be assembled, and I was planning on using the crank from that '67 engine, but is there any reason it shouldn't fit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:59 am 

Car Model:
Nathan in MN wrote:
I have one of the yellow engines from a '67 Dodge van, so as I understand it, that should have the shot-peened crank in it

If it's a 225-2 (heavy-duty), then yes. If it's a 225-1 (standard-duty) then no.

Quote:
Is there any difference in that crank other than metallurgy-wise, i.e., will it fit in any other 225 block I can come up with?

Correct — it would fit in any RG block made through mid-1976 when they switched from forged steel to cast iron cranks. It will not fit in place of a cast crank.

Quote:
I have a late-style 225 block (I assume it's just the light duty version - it's blue)

Engine colour is not a very reliable indication of build configuration...especially so many years after they were built!

Keep in mind, any crankshaft can be shot peened by any machine shop equipped to do so. For most of us, the only advantage in doing so is whatever satisfaction comes from saying "Me, I've got a shot-peened crankshaft in my engine".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:02 am 

Car Model:
68barracuda wrote:
SlantSixDan wrote:

It certainly is, especially since they engineered and developed the updates...just didn't put them into production. :-(

Pray tell Dan - what updates? :D

See here.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next