Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:26 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I went to Autozone yesterday hoping that I could get all the parts I need to replace the water pump on my '71 Dart Swinger. I bought everything, but being a newb at this, didn't know if I was buying good parts or bad parts.
SlantSixDan told me that the Duralast water pump I bought is a cheap piece of junk and that I should return it. I can accept that, and I will heed any such warnings, but I need to know what the good parts are.

I also bought rad hoses, belts, and a bunch of other stuff from Autozone, but I can't remember the exact brands of those at this moment.

Can y'all chime in with your input on this? I'd like to get this repair underway, ASAP. And I certainly don't want to buy junky parts for my Dart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:55 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Don't know parts store chains on the east coast, but anywhere but Autozone! I would look for parts on-line, like www.rockauto.com, www.partsamerica.com, etc. Or go to Napa, CarQuest, or a localy owned independent parts store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:28 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
It used to be easier when brand-name parts had brand names, and generic parts came in plain white boxes. Nowtimes, even the stinkiest garbage has a fancy label and brand name of some kind. If you don't know a brand's "pedigree", it's really hard to discern the "real" brands from the junk. One general way of telling is that the established, quality brands tend to have names (see below), while the fly-by-night/generic crud tends to have made-up words suggesting quality or durability or ease of installation("DuraLast", "Mileage Plus", "Sure-Stop", "MasterTech", "Dura-Grip", "Ready-Rad", etc.). This isn't a hard-and-fast rule, though; some of the worst parts in the industry come with names on them (Cardone comes to mind), and with corporations buying and selling brands amongst themselves all the time, picking a quality part can be sort of a moving target game.

Autozone sells some decent stuff but a lot of junk. NAPA and CarQuest and O'Reilly's are solid parts sources, as long as you are careful to specifically say "First line/top quality" every time you order parts, otherwise even those stores will often assume that because you have an old car, you want cheap consumer-grade crud. www.rockauto.com sells a lot of good stuff (but also plenty of trash!) and they usually get orders mostly right. PartsAmerica.com is just the online branch of Autozone.

So, what are some quality brands? Well, TRW or Carter or Airtex pumps, Gates or Goodyear or Dayco belts and hoses, Fel-Pro or Victor-Reinz or Detroit gaskets, Standard/BlueStreak or Echlin electrical and ignition parts, Wix or Purolator filters, Raybestos or Bendix or EIS or United brake parts, Modine or Spectra radiators, etc. Not every part made by these companies is necessarily a good one (don't use Echlin distributor caps), but for the most part you're safe with choices like these. NAPA sells a lot of their first-line/top-quality parts under their own "NAPA" name.

Parts like starters, alternators and carburetors are a special case: What you can get at a parts store is "remanufactured" (or "100% New!" Chinese copycats), and it is virtually all junk regardless of name brand, for reasons that have been discussed at great length on the board (search "remanufactur*" to view the discussions). For that reason when one of those components needs replacement, you either buy new genuine parts if you can find them, or you find a careful and competent rebuilder to refurbish your existing unit for you. Such service invariably costs more than just buying the "reman" stuff off the shelf, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:45 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1974 W100; 72 Dart
i agree with your post dan EXCEPT that partsamerica.com is not associated with autozone. they are advanced auto here in texas, and other in other places. From the partsamerica web site store locator:

You are currently viewing Advance Auto Parts stores. To see Checker Auto Parts, Schuck's Auto Supply, Kragen Auto Parts, and Murray's Discount Auto Parts

the local guys at advanced have been really helpful, and they can usually get the stuff i need next morning if its not an in stock item. i haven't (knock on wood) had problems with parts from advanced like i have with the zone, and they at least have higher grade ignition parts available....not that that info will help with water pump issue, but i haven't needed one of those yet.

sb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:05 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Thank you all -This is the kind of information I need.

I'll get a different water pump (thank you Dan). 8) I've seen those Airtex pumps online. Carter as well.

rockauto.com looks great - thanks for that tip

I've found there is a NAPA store in Brooklyn -just one- and maybe they'll have a better selection. Oftentimes chain stores that would be huge and nice in the rest of the country are smallish and disappointing in Brooklyn. But I can always order from the internet, and it's a little less daunting with the information and opinions found here.

Dave

ps- I also bought a 2 1/2 ton floor jack ($60) and a pair of 6-ton jackstands (the best they had -$40) from Autozone.... Ahem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:12 pm 

Car Model:
mopar_nocar wrote:
i agree with your post dan EXCEPT that partsamerica.com is not associated with autozone. they are advanced auto here in texas, and other in other places. From the partsamerica web site store locator:

You are currently viewing Advance Auto Parts stores. To see Checker Auto Parts, Schuck's Auto Supply, Kragen Auto Parts, and Murray's Discount Auto Parts

Whoops, yeah, that's right, I kind of have all those places occupying the same "memory slot" in my head, since I try to stay out of all of 'em! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:21 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Advance is usually worth checking out, though I'm not sure I trust their electrical parts (their top line is GP Sorenson, which I know little about). There was one incident where I priced a Holley choke kit, just for giggles, and their walk-in customer price was actually lower than what I could get it for from both Summit (if you factored in shipping) and from O'Reilly's, even w/ my employee discount. They also have all of the books on the shelf, which is something that I find very handy at times. (Especially the Dorman book)

Currently fighting with an '85 VW Cabriolet

My other passion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:05 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 63 Dart 81 D150
The shop I work in installs many parts from the zone every day. We have had very few problems with their stuff. Is it the greatest stuff out there? NO Will it drive you up the wall with screwey problems? occasionaly. We have had just as many "dealer" parts fail or "come back" as we have with the aftermarket. We work on mostly "newer" cars ofcourse, mid 90's and newer, mostly european and asian crap. Cheep parts CAN be a pain in the a$$, but they can also let you ride for cheep. The ultimate cheep parts are used, I love junkyards.

The best, newest, greatest parts are nice if you can afford them, some of us arent so lucky

Post subject: parts are parts
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:12 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
you have to love the parts america website though it gives nice pics of the part --- sometimes-----

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:26 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Hi Brooklyn,
Your post and the great advice you got made me think over my 50+ years buying tools....I still have the first ones I ever got cause I always get good ones....I frequent REAL pawnshops. In a big city I bet there are some..real is distinguished from chain pawnshops that price to a computer program, act like a retail outfit and don't much care if you buy or not because in 10 days the stock moves to ebay. Real pawnshops have a price because people expect one, the store expects you to make an offer, and generally will take a fair low offer. THe more you buy, the cheaper it is. Of course they know the real market value of the stuff, they have their own cash pocket money in the stock! Tools are cheeeeep in the winter when folks are layed offf and high in the summer when everyone is working. I have furnished a pretty good machine shop with superb tools at less than 10 % of new price for precision gage blocks, calipers, etc. I always hit a pawn first for a wrench, most are 50 cents to a dollar for good tools and nearly free for made in india. You can probably find jacks and jackstands there for 5 bucks each, just do your homework with catalogs, looking in retail stores and so on to get a feel for new prices. For instance, look at Blackhawk tools at carquest...outrageous pricing new but cheap as dirt secondhand. Remember these outlets are not museums or archives, they will die if the stock stays still...It helps if you always buy something when you darken the door too. After a while they will call you first!
rock
'64d100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:09 pm 

Car Model:
tophat wrote:
The best, newest, greatest parts are nice

No, that's just it...the best parts are rapidly disappearing from the market. Much of the newer stuff is junk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:24 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
The NAPA store in Brooklyn here has a water pump from GMB -is this any good or another cheap imitator?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:30 am 

Car Model:
Don't know enough about them to say. Sorry, wish I could help. See if NAPA can sell you a NAPA Water Pumps 557100. Should cost around $37.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:05 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Brooklyn_Swinger wrote:
The NAPA store in Brooklyn here has a water pump from GMB -is this any good or another cheap imitator?

I've never had any problems with GMB's on various vehicles.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:48 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
tophat wrote:
mostly "newer" cars ofcourse, mid 90's and newer, mostly european and asian crap.

I'd have a hard time bashing too many cars as being crap just because they are foreign. Remember it was american cars that had the notorious distinction of being poorly engineered and built especially in the 70's and still dont represent 'the cream of the crop' by anymeans. The europeans and japanese unfortunatly have the upperhand on dedicated engineeering, precision, practicality and economy, pride in workmanship, and dedication to quality that the americans only now have grudgenly adopted. When it comes to brash self indulgence,drooling exuberance and bloated 'lust appeal', gross inefficiency and impractabilty, the americans (and canadians) carry the bag. In a sense the interest we take in our own cars leads us to improve them much as the euros or japs would have but we have to 'fix' where the factory left off. This quest we are on to make our cars handle better, to be more economic, perform more efficiently is a european or japanese state of mind, not american, essentially we're trying to make our cars more' foreign'. The more we try to improve them further clarifies the shortcomings of our cars' maker in the first place.