Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 9:51 pm 
I would have no idea of a "casting number". When I was looking around in a local salvage yard I found several early to mid 1980's vintage Dodge trucks with Carter BBD carburetors and I thought the engines were 318's since the 360's used to use Holley carbs with a bigger bolt pattern than the 318's used. However the underhood emissions decal said 5.9 liter (360) engine. At first I thought someone swapped a 318 engine in place of a 360. But there were just too many that way. Eventually I remembered seeing in a Dodge Truck service manual that there was a BBD used on a 360 engine. I suspect they did this so they could use the same intake manifold on the 318 and 360 engine and not make a separate 360 intake anymore.
Anyway......I can not find that manual right now. I remember it specified a larger venturi size for the BBD on a 360. I'll try to remember to post that information here when I find the manual.

cfield@ll.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 11:21 pm 
I did a carburetor swap yesterday. I have a super six setup from '79 or '80 Dodge Aspen in my '66 Dart. My engine is rebuilt about 2 years ago, and there is some extras; A MP 244 degree cam and Dutra Duals with 2 separate 2" pipes. The junked carb made me several problems during the years. It was clogging its idle jets with something which was coming from itself, there has always been a quality fuel filter before it. I cleaned it several times, installed a rebuilt set and so on.

That carb had also a very worn throttle blade(s) saft, which I tried to get fixed with some homemade machined bushings. The result was somewhere below average, not because of the bushings but the bad basement. Anyway, I was hunting all the time something better to replace that old one.

Here (north europe) we do not have junkyards full filled with excellent donors...

OK. I had some luck, and I won one BBD from ebay. It was brand new NOS carb, Carter BBD, list 6150S. Originally made for '72 318 I have had told to me. I came 7 weeks from NJ with surface mail, which was an accident from seller. There was no emission stuff at the carb (looks better to me), and what is the most importand it has noticeable BIGGER venturis that the 225 engine BBD.

It vent to its place with small hardware mods, the linkage was a little different between these 2. The engine was running smooth idle with the carb straight from the box. (It has been there something 20 to 30 years waiting to get installed...)

During the tests I feel an improvement which was close as big as I had when swapping the 1bbl carb to Super Six Setup or when swapping the 1 7/8" single exhaust with Duals. I recommend this swap if a good carb from 318 is available. It is a good idea to measure throttle bores and venturis, because there could be several versions in a different cars, years, and market areas.

JKKo
(User Above) wrote:
:
: I would have no idea of a "casting
: number". When I was looking around in a
: local salvage yard I found several early to
: mid 1980's vintage Dodge trucks with Carter
: BBD carburetors and I thought the engines
: were 318's since the 360's used to use
: Holley carbs with a bigger bolt pattern than
: the 318's used. However the underhood
: emissions decal said 5.9 liter (360) engine.
: At first I thought someone swapped a 318
: engine in place of a 360. But there were
: just too many that way. Eventually I
: remembered seeing in a Dodge Truck service
: manual that there was a BBD used on a 360
: engine. I suspect they did this so they
: could use the same intake manifold on the
: 318 and 360 engine and not make a separate
: 360 intake anymore.
: Anyway......I can not find that manual right
: now. I remember it specified a larger
: venturi size for the BBD on a 360. I'll try
: to remember to post that information here
: when I find the manual.

jari@kuparikuviot.fi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:59 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Valiant
I have 2 dealer carb referance books : 1 holley, 1 old hygrade which lists all bbs & large & small 225 & 273/318 v8 Carter carb numbers for year models, i'm happy to list for anyone wanting to research a certain model carb or an oldball swapmeet or ebay special... The hygrade lists stromberg 2bbls & v8 4bbl factory carb #'s incl varioud mopar hemis beyond '55 if info needed.
I've rebuild & trouble shoot carbs since a kid.
Just PM me or ask year & ci & i can generally help ( within reason)
Also have access to all Australian market Slant Valiant Perf parts T/ing sets, big bore pistons etc.
Cheers everyone. 1/5/18

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:46 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Craig wrote:
I would have no idea of a "casting number".

Doesn't matter—casting numbers aren't useful for identifying Carter carburetors. For that you need the number off the aluminum tag secured to the carb by one of the bowl screws—if it's still there. If it's not, all you can do is post pics and go by clues (like what exactly it was installed on when you found it) to narrow in on exactly what it is.

Quote:
early to mid 1980's vintage Dodge trucks with Carter BBD carburetors

That's not generally a first-pick application to get a carburetor to put on a Slant-6 engine.

The BBD (and Stromburg WW3) came in two sizes: 1-1/4" (on the 273, 313, and 318 engines) and 1-1/2" (on 361, 383, and 360 engines). A bigger carburetor is not necessarily a better one. Even a 273-318 carburetor is larger than a Slant-6 2bbl, and while those small-V8 carbs can be made to run well on a Slant-6, the big 2bbl off the larger V8 engines is too big for good driveability and economy on a Slant-6. The better "next step up" from a small BBD, WW3, or 2280 is a Motorcraft 2100-type carb.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:58 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Wow, a 16-1/2 year old thread resurrection. That's gotta be some kind of record.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:51 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Wow, a 16-1/2 year old thread resurrection. That's gotta be some kind of record.

Yeah. Sadly it happens when someone new signs up and decides to go through all the threads since they haven't all been marked
read yet...not looking at the post dates, and not knowing that Mitch and Eric haven't been on here for a decade or so, and we've
moved on to newer topics with more current issues (and better info thanks to Dan's links).

The effort and enthusiam isn't un-appreciated though....