Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: pan or rear main?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:25 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
How can you tell of your oil pan is leaking VS it bieng the rear main seal if the leak appear to be at the back of the pan? Or is it a do them both if you drop the pan? When dropping the pan in an early a body 63, better to come out the right or left side? (drop ider arm or pitman). Any help please? (ive searched the forum)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:40 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I had a rear main seal leak on mine and I'll try and explain it the best I can. At the rear of the oil pan, right in the center, it was dripping a line of oil down once every couple of minutes or so. It came right down that cover deal on the transmission thats pinned right up there next to the oil pan. If oil is dripping right down the center of that cover, chances are you have a rear main seal leak.

Post subject: good description
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:15 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Yea that sound like whats happening to me. So where to get this real main seal at ? Any brands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:11 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I had my engine rebuilt and it was still under warranty so I had it taken back to the shop and done for free. I'm sure one of the guru's here can get you hooked up with a decent brand or part #.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:38 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
HERE are some instructions on installing the rear main seal, from Doug himself.

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO

Post subject: Re: good description
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:37 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
lincparts wrote:
Yea that sound like whats happening to me. So where to get this real main seal at ? Any brands?

I am in the middle of doing this right now. I didn't really find any thing else but the Felpro gaskets. I would imagine you will have the buy the oil pan gasket also. I just got one at NAPA for $11. The rear main was about the same price.

I went ahead and pulled the engine. I have another car I can drive, so I am taking my time with this, painting the engine, cleaning up the engine bay. I didn't want to try to do this on my back under the car and screw it up.

Post subject: ok..
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:43 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
ok but how do i know if its the rear main or just the pan? Is there a pre /post pan removal signs? I hate to mess with the rear main if its only the pan gasket, but it is leaking all the way in the back with a bit of a drip up front.... Part # s for rear main seal ? napa?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:17 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
ok the engine is out you have both pan gasket and oil seal so do both and save yourself the head ache, just fish the top of the main seal around the crank start it with a small flat screw driver then press it against the crank and turn the crank, after a few tries it should come out. take the new one soak it in oil make sure the lip is facing inwards to the motor and do the same spinning the crank if the seal sticks and don`t forget to stager the seal end about a half inch , this will help stop the seams of the seal from lining up with the mating joints of the retaining cap, also a dab of high temp silicone.the seal is the same as a bb dodge

Post subject: Re: ok..
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:41 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
lincparts wrote:
ok but how do i know if its the rear main or just the pan? Is there a pre /post pan removal signs? I hate to mess with the rear main if its only the pan gasket, but it is leaking all the way in the back with a bit of a drip up front.... Part # s for rear main seal ? napa?

I didn't really know which is was either, so I can't help you there, so I decided to just do both. When I took out the lower rear main seal, there was a lot of oil in there, so it may have been both. A lot of oil was coming out and/or around the trans dust cover.

This was my first time doing this and I was concerned about not doing it right. But replacing the rear main seal wasn't hard. The top part pushed out pretty easy, rotated around the crank like it was supposed to, and the lower part I had the retainer out, so that was easy. If you look down a few posts, you will see my post "Did I mess up the oil pan Gasket?". You will see some good suggestions on getting the pan gasket to seal.

I am just about to do the oil pan gasket again. Hopefully it goes good. I can't tell if I've been successful yet, but I should have the engine back in the car this weekend. I'll let you know.

The part numbers on my boxes are (rear main) BS 40240, (oil pan) OS 12705 C-1

Post subject: good advice
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:05 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
ok good advice, littleterryjohn, BUT the engine is in the car. Can anyone tell me if the pan should slide out to the drivers slide or passenger side, so i know if i should drop the pitman arm or idler arm. So Drivers or passengers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:58 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
sorry to much reading a not enough lessening :oops: ,i have found it much easier to pull the engine for a main seal , but i have a lift and a engine stand,i haven`t tried it in the car but i see no reason for the pan not coming out towards the trans with the oil pickup removed and engine raised and the center link removed:?: