Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:05 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I just went through this with a 1200B IHC pick-up that sat since 1998 in less than ideal conditions. For those of you out there not fluent in Cornbinder it's 1967 3/4 ton with a 241ci 6, 4 speed, three "U" joints and a Dana 60 with floating axles.

I dropped the pan finding black mayonnaise in need of scooping out. Lifters were semi stuck requiring removal and cleaning of their bore, engine turned over by big wrench. Differential was nasty with glop, and its vent plugged requiring a good cleaning. While pan was off I was able to squirt engine oil on each side of all crank journals, cam and cylinder walls with an old fashioned hand pump oil can. Once oiled up I rolled engine over to help work oil into bearing and cylinder wall surfaces.

Radiator was a sieve needing replacement, however heater core was like new and heater box full of rodent nests. Seams the little bastards likes to drink the leaking coolant... the cab & engine compartment had become a mausoleum.

I rebuilt the carb, installed new fuel pump with ethanol resistant diaphragm, installed new fuel tank and lines.

Once all the cleaning and pre-oiling was done, and starter was rebuilt (there is always one more thing to do), she started right up. Oh, it needed a valve lash adjustment.

Slant six sump pan is not easily removed with engine in car and would agree with above that the engine be pulled to better access said pan for a cleaning. If some of that congealed old oil were to get sucked up into pump I think the bearings would be starved for oil and fail in no time after first start.

You can sure get a good start on reviving Dad's old Dart over the 4th to the point he can probably muster on. Sometime we old timers just need a spark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:42 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 65 Dart, 225, 4 spd od, hyd clutch, BBD, 2 1/4 exh
rosspulliam wrote:

Happen to know of an oil pump primer tool that works with the 225? Or instructions on how to build one?

Money is less important than success. I'll roll up with $1000 worth of parts if it gave me a moderate chance of success.

See this article for slant six remote oil primer:

http://www.plymouthcarclub.com/2016/02/ ... -starting/

Remote primer is needed because the slant has the oil pump gear engaging the cam gear which prohibits you from using a typical tool like Summit equipment sells for other type engines.

Article Summary:
Two types of remote primer:
1) manual using variable speed drill
2) automatic using Accusump system

Manual is for when engine has sat a long time or after a rebuild.
Automatic is for an engine that sits frequently for days at a time.

The manual shouldn't cost you much but a couple hours of your time and fits your circumstance without risking soft bearing damage likely when an engine is rotated dry.

I have used the manual system on a dozen engines and can mail it to you on loan for your first startup if you feel you can't assemble the parts yourself. The automated system is installed on two different 65 Darts which would be difficult to remove and retrofit on your 74 without extreme effort.

Basically what you would get in the mail is a pump ready to immerse in a large can. The pump would have the fittings to enable use of a variable speed drill and attach steel lines.

You would also get a shutoff valve, tee, pressure gauge, and fittings to allow the unit attachment to the slant oil pressure switch location. Detailed pictures of the assembly would be sent to you making this a quick task.

Your goal would be to pump in all the new oil thru the oil pump. new oil filter, engine passages, bearing surfaces, and lines prior to rotating the engine. The low dollar effort would be all over in less than 1/2 hour.

There are several recommendations in the Slant forum about filling the oil pump and oil filter prior to rotating a dry engine. Unless you have a remote oil filter the slant standard upside down oil filter is not helpful when filling with oil prior to assembly.

1965 Dart 110k, 225, Carter BBD Super Six, 2 1/4 single exh., sbp manual scarebird front disc, 7 1/4 rear 2.94 sure grip, 14 x 4.5 OEM wheels, 833 OD with hyd. throwout bearing, HEI, electric fan, ram air/heated air, Accusump. http://plymouthcarclub.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:03 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Appreciate everyone's comments.

We'll see what Dad ends up letting us do. He's got a history of big dreams with little action. I called him last night and let him know to spend the next couple of weeks getting the garage ready and he pretty well said he has no intention of doing anything other than maybe getting the Dart inside.

Ugh.

I've waited 33 years so far to get started working on this car. I've pestered him numerous times over the years that we should get started. He's by no means rich, and it's a real challenge to get him to let me buy parts for his car. I think sometimes he fails to realize that riding in this car isn't just his dream, it's been mine too for as long as I've known what a car was.

I'll keep working on him. Hopefully he comes to his senses and let's me help him get a big boost knocked out on this thing to give him a little motivation to continue. Even if that means pulling the motor, dropping the pan, and doing a thorough inspection. Problem is, if that happens, I'm pretty sure the way my Dad operates it'll never find it's way back into the engine bay. He's got a really bad habit of starting projects and never finishing.

Can anyone, with some degree of certainty, confirm the 7.25" rear end from a 1975 Dodge Dart Custom (the 4 door) will fit in his 1974 Dart Sport? If it will, then I'll just plan on putting my rear end in his car, as I can go through it this week before I head up there on the 30th. At least one part will be ready to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:41 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
rosspulliam wrote:
Can anyone, with some degree of certainty, confirm the 7.25" rear end from a 1975 Dodge Dart Custom (the 4 door) will fit in his 1974 Dart Sport?

100% yes, absolutely, definitely, it will, provided his Dart Sport currently has a 7.25 rear axle. If he has an 8.25, then you will need a longer driveshaft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:48 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
rosspulliam wrote:
Can anyone, with some degree of certainty, confirm the 7.25" rear end from a 1975 Dodge Dart Custom (the 4 door) will fit in his 1974 Dart Sport?

100% yes, absolutely, definitely, it will, provided his Dart Sport currently has a 7.25 rear axle. If he has an 8.25, then you will need a longer driveshaft.

I was 99.9% sure it did, but figured why not ask :).

I know his has the 7.25" axle. I'll freshen up mine and just swap them out. Then there's one less thing to worry about and I don't have to drive 5 hours to do it for him :).

Post subject: You know....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:17 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
FYI, Everything on your 'donor' dart will bolt up except for the driveline, trim, glass, and a few other mixed parts and main body panels.... the one thing to note is if either car is a drum/drum car and the other is a disc drum car, then the bolt patterns will be different between the cars....

If the donor rolls and runs reasonably... a couple of reasonably motivated guys could trailer the donor Dart to your Dad's, put both cars side by side on jackstands... swap the rearend and springs as one assembly...swap the engine and transmission as an assembly (got an engine crane?)...and possibly swap the front suspension in the 4 day timeframe... then the Sport will be able to be motivated under it's own power from a gas can until the gas tank can be dropped and cleaned out, and your Dad can work on other little things until you make another visit... you can also haul your donor dart back home, then pull parts on it to refurbish on your own time to swap onto the Sport when they are ready.... (if the car can run on it's own... maybe your Dad will see that the big stuff is 'done' and he will be more motivated to work on other things...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:09 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Well, I'm not going to say it was a total failure, but I can say Dad is bound and determined to do this on his own schedule. We didn't even touch the car :(.

I did successfully move more of his hoard from one spot to another (again) and break my wrist teaching 10 year olds how to pop wheelies on bikes.

This story ain't over. I've gotta let my wrist heal up before I'm much use on 30 year old bolts, but I'm gonna keep the motivation up on Dad to get some progress done on this project. He's not getting any younger.

To be continued...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:54 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Well dads will be Dads. :roll:
We all have the little kid in us.
Hope that wrist heals up nice. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:05 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
It's finally time to revive this post! A lot has happened in the last 2 years, but we finally took action. Dad is in Texas visiting me, and my brother and a crew of really good friends is tackling basically every system on his car, and the plan is when he drives home to have it parked in his spot in the garage with as much done to it as they can get done in the next 3 days. They should have everything they need purchased and sitting ready to go to fire this old thing up again!

They've ran into a question that I can't answer. Anyone know what this part is behind the battery tray on the driver side fender? I don't recall my '75 having anything in that spot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:36 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I don't recall my '75 having anything in that spot.

It's the starter relay...in the late 70's A-bodies it moved to the firewall near the master cylinder/ballast resistor...

Looks like it's missing some wiring to the starter among other things...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:54 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks Duster! I passed the note along and apparently he suspected it was the starter relay and had already pulled the missing wires before he thought he should ask me to confirm. He's all good now!

To catch everyone up, Dad fell into some pretty rough patches health wise over the last 2 years. He was officially diagnosed with Parkinson's back in March, and this summer and fall he finally said "That car is going to be up to you boys to do something with I just don't have the energy." To me, that sounded like a green light to do something, so as soon as they left to drive south to my house in Texas for the week they went and loaded up the car and got busy. I stacked them with a ton of parts to get them through the next few days and we'll see where we end up. When they head home on Thursday I'll leave right after them and beat them home for a "reveal" of sorts.

We found out the local police watch his pole barn pretty close, my brother had to convince them of what we were doing and they weren't actually stealing it. The cop was concerned why there were no lights on but flashlights, and he had to show him that the barn has no power lol.

Pulling it out.

Strapping down

Heading to the shop

Getting started

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:46 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Looks like a great start, and project with your family. Savor the wrenchin' and the time together.

Lou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:04 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Gosh, so much has been done to this thing. It is having no problems at all lighting off pouring fuel in, they're working on getting the coolant system in and making sure fuel is pumping from the tank.

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=8AD ... ZDzs4_T-gY

Crazy how much they've accomplished in just 24 hours. Brakes are all in and working. Just so crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:37 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
We did it! Success!

I just got home tonight, we revealed it on Thursday. Thanks everyone for coming along for the ride and all of your advice as we made this happen. It's been 2 days and Dad still can't talk about it without choking up. It's one of the absolutely coolest things I've ever had the chance to be a part of. My parents, all 4 kids, and all 10 grand kids were able to be there for this. What an amazing moment that my family will cherish for as long as we live. The guy holding them in the garage is my little brother who (along with our 2 good friends) did the work. Ryan is one of my oldest friends that we could never have done this without. He's been building cars professionally his entire life and was really the reason that got this done. I'm the one that had the privilege of driving it up. Excuse my cold, I've been sick for a month now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7-EO-k ... =emb_title

And this picture is the one that is a punch right in the feels right after Mom and Dad climbed in for the first time since 1986. This picture captures exactly what this effort was about.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:19 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
So cool! Congrats on making this a group/family affair and getting it rolling. Looks like your folks (and everyone) appreciates it. Thanks for sharing.

Lou