Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:59 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1975 Dodge Dart Swinger Super six'd
I'm still trying to figure out what to do about throttle and kickdown linkages.

I'm also a little concerned with the studs and hardware attaching the manifold to the head. It looks a bit rusty, and I'd like replace it all if possible (I'm hoping everything comes off easily, I've been hitting it with PB Blaster daily.

Also, where can I get studs for the exhaust flange from the manifold?

Thanks all!!

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:40 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Read through this thread for the sourcing info on manifold studs, nuts, and washers. It is very much worth your while to get the good gaskets for the manifolds-to-head and intake-to-exhaust junctions. See this thread for kickdown options.

Studs for the exhaust manifold outlet flange…good question. I've never had to replace these; either I was using a manifold with holes on the flange (for bolt/nut fastening) or the stud-type manifold I was using was in fine condition.

Manifold install: see here.

How's your exhaust system, by the way? If it's getting time to replace the muffler, you might consider an exhaust upgrade while you're at it. 2-1/4" pipe off the manifold will give a big breathing improvement over the undersized 1-7/8" original (2-1/4" was standard with the factory 2bbl setup starting in '77). Muffler, tailpipe, and resonator info in this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:21 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1975 Dodge Dart Swinger Super six'd
ok,

I'm down to the wire....I believe I have all of the parts now, and even had the manifolds ground flat (which brings me to my questions)

first off, the machine shop used grade 5 bolts to attach the intake to exhaust, do you think grade 5 is sufficient?

Second, does anyone know that the torque should be between these two parts?

Lastly, I am still trying to find a source for the special washers for mounting it all up to the heads.

Thanks

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:50 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1971 Valiant
Slant 6 manifolds have rather low torque values. i.e, the 1971 Plymouth Chassis Manual, page 9-9, lists 10ft-lb for the manifold-to-cylinder-head nuts (the super six manifold I have, in fact has said torque value cast into it), and 15ft-lb for the intake-manifold-to-exhaust-manifold bolts. Make sure you torque the former before the latter , for proper alignment.

As for the grade 5, I'm sure it would work. I don't remember the exact bolt size, but you can just look up the size those new bolts are and compare to a table.