Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Re: Electric fan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:04 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1975 Dodge Dart Swinger Super six'd
Ok...so I'm back on that fence again...

Big question! Will I gain anything noticeable by going to an electric fan?

If so, it seems I need to upgrade alternator and wiring?

What is a good alternator to use?

What about a fan recommendation?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:44 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1969 Dart 340, 1975 Dart 225, 1967 Dart 225
No, very little is found by going to an electric fan. If you are looking to find more torque, modifying your distributor for more initial timing, less centrifugal timing, and optimizing the centrifugal advance curve will provide much better performance. Make sure you have an vacuum canister that is fitted proper (advance rate and advance limit) to match the needs of your slant six. The proper canister makes all the difference when fuel economy is considered in the performance of the vehicle. Lastly, for reliability go with the HEI conversion which is covered greatly on this forum. It too has some performance benefit, but it is deadly reliable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:14 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Thanks Dude,

so, actually..here is where I stand.

I have already done HEI and opened spark gaps to 045 (made a big difference)
I have duster idiot recurving my dizzy for my super six conversion, with the tire size I am using

i'm using a holley 2280 for the super six

I already went to 2 1/4" pipe, with cat removed, going to a "Y" adapter into dual turbo mufflers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:07 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I think you have already picked the low-hanging fruit as far as efficiency and performance modifications go. Adding an electric fan really won't get you much. Your money would be better spent obtianing a spare head and getting it rebuilt and ported and milled to increase your compression ratio.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:51 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

thanks dude...

gonna see how the dizzy and super six works out...

I'll probably go from there if needed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:42 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
I installed electric fans some time back, replacing a four-blade fan. Two offset fans, one pusher and one puller. Radiator-to-engine space is tight in '64 Valiants, especially with larger radiators.

Noise reduction was noticeable. No, I didn't measure it. But I like it.

I like not having an unguarded fan spinning around when I'm checking the timing or just looking around the front of the engine. I also like not having to work around a fan shroud, or at least only having to work around the cage on the electric puller fan. The pusher fan is even more out of the way.

As has been noted, a thought-out wiring plan is important, as is execution. As far as cost, it can be done expensively or cheaply, depending on your shopping smarts, junkyard-fu, and fabrication capabilities. Mine works for me, for now.

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:12 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
My decision to swap to an electric fan wasn't so much to gain efficiency as it was to gain elbow room under the hood.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:21 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
coconuteater64 wrote:
My decision to swap to an electric fan wasn't so much to gain efficiency as it was to gain elbow room under the hood.

I can appreciate that, especially in an A body, but you also loose the easiest way to turn the crank- the fan. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:32 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
That's true! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 63 Dart 81 D150
SlantSixDan wrote:
Joshie225 wrote:
tophat wrote:
I did the electric fan upgrade on my 63 Dart after the 4 blade "death fan" exploded. My 81 D150 came in to my possession with a dreaded 4 blade death fan.
None of my 4-blade slant six fans ever failed. My road racing '66 Dart spun 5800 RPM repeatedly with the "death fan".

Josh is right. I'm sure the fan failure on the Dart was a very loud, very frightening event, Tophat, and it's understandable why you'd react badly to that experience, but this "dreaded death fan" business of yours is unrealistic and inappropriate; you're trying to gin up a lurking menace where there isn't one.

Did your fan fail? Yep, I believe you. Do these fans have a tendency to fail, a track record, a history? Nope! As engine fans go, they're one of the least failure-prone designs. Fact is, when you drive an old car you're at elevated likelihood to experience a very unusual failure sooner or later, one that wouldn't occur to most drivers because it almost never happens. Driveshafts have failed spectacularly when U-joints let go, yet we don't call them "the dreaded death-driveshaft". Connecting rods have blown great big holes in the sides of engine blocks, but we don't tell ghost stories about "the dreaded death-connecting rods". There are Ford engines notorious for spark plug hole threads letting go, then the plug is launched like a missile—hard enough to dent the hood from the inside—and yet we don't hear talk of "the dreaded death-spark plugs".

There were Fords with notoriously failure-prone engine fans in the 1970s. People died, and Ford did what they do best when they screw up like this (stare at the sky, say "tut tut, looks like rain", drag their feet and refuse to cooperate with governmental safety investigations, etc). Those fans were nothing like the ones you're trying to make people afraid of, so please knock it off, thanks.

Fact is, it has always, always, always been good practice to never, ever, ever stand in line with a spinning engine fan, no matter what kind it is. This is on the same list as "never smoke while filling the gas tank or working on the carburetor", "make the last jumper cable connection on the engine block, not the battery", "wear your seatbelt", and other simple, basic, sensible safety precautions.

Maybe calling it a "death fan" is a bit of an overstatement. Thanks to your recent post Dan, I have applied the photobucket work around to the photos of the fan that came apart on me.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=38579&hilit=fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
I did a switch to electric fans and had to switch back to mechanical fan. The reason was that I was using weber carbs and since they operate at 3-5 psi, they are sensitive to heat build up and boiling over. I worked really hard to set up electric fans, they worked perfectly, and the engine temp was very stable with them. But, the engine bay would build up a lot of heat and my webers would boil over, even though the engine itself was quite happy temperature wise. My mechanical fan pulls a ton of air and keeps the engine bay much cooler, while still doing the job (along with the radiator) of keeping my engine temps steady. Actually, given how much air space/room there is in an a body engine bay with a SL6 in it, I was surprised how darn hot it got in there with the electric fans. The mechanical fan, going all the time, kept the engine bay way cooler than the electric fan turning on and off based on the the thermostat in the coolant circuit, with no regard to the engine bay temps.

Brian