Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:10 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1982 Dodge W150
Finally got all the parts in for the HEI conversion. Got most of it wired in last night but tackled pulling the distributor this morning. So, here is what the old distributor looked like: (EDIT - Sorry guys. I stink at pic uploading)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:24 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Honestly I am amazed that the truck ran at all. While the lean burn system may not be the best and the brightest, it sure kept the engine going even with this amount of nasty.

First impressions of the HEI are amazing. I was pretty worried I would be chasing gremlins as I had to bite off a lot to get it going (new to me carb, a whole bunch of de-wiring and rewiring, new distributor) but it fired up immediately. Engine just seems calmer overall, and with perhaps a slight amount more power. Smoother on acceleration for sure.

I dialed in my timing as best I could with a vacuum gauge to start (I don't have a functioning timing light anymore, so I get to wait for my son to bring his over). First go was way too advanced with a lot of ping. Second go was too retarded and it would stumble on a grade. I split that difference and it seems to be at a decent happy medium.

Next on the agenda is a nice set of Magnecor wires and an in car tach. Along with finishing dialing in the timing just right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:37 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I tell people all the time (not just Mopar folks) that the HEI is the best upgrade you can do for an old vehicle. Like you I expected to have to fiddle with it to get it running right but it fired up perfectly the first time. I set my timing and never touched it going on 6 years now. I strongly suggest a relay if you didn't use one so it can get a good, steady, strong electrical source. GM modules will fail without one. Plus, with a relay you can rig up an anti-theft switch like I did. Mine cuts the ground to the relay unless I flick a hidden switch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:15 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

coconuteater64 wrote:
I tell people all the time (not just Mopar folks) that the HEI is the best upgrade you can do for an old vehicle. Like you I expected to have to fiddle with it to get it running right but it fired up perfectly the first time. I set my timing and never touched it going on 6 years now. I strongly suggest a relay if you didn't use one so it can get a good, steady, strong electrical source. GM modules will fail without one. Plus, with a relay you can rig up an anti-theft switch like I did. Mine cuts the ground to the relay unless I flick a hidden switch.

Nice! Yeah - I set it up by the book as per slantsixdan's tutorial. Relay is mounted to the coil/hei package, fused and running right off battery wtih fat wire feeding. I'll be spending some time dialing it in on Sunday but yeah - fired right up. I installed the manual choke cable today, but its more of a hassle than I would have liked. May need to look into getting a nice electric choke for it. (not sure if there's a conversion kit out there for manual choke carbs - I would assume so.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:57 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
old distributor

although that has to be one of the funkiest distributor I have seen, don't throw it away, those old lean burn distributors can be used as a
cam driven crank trigger in MegaSquirt fuel injection / ignition control systems.
,not as accurate as a crank trigger, but functional and a cheap way to get there