Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:15 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1982 Dodge W150
After doing the HEI conversion and putting the new carburetor on I decided to reconnect the charcoal canisters the PO had disconnected. However, the charcoal canisters (there are two of them) look like they want some vacuum applied (at the "top hat" piece). Originally on this lean burn it looks as though the hockey puck was the supplier of this vacuum. I have removed that puck so now the only sources of vacuum are off the manifold at the brake booster port or off the carb itself. What kind of vacuum are the canisters looking for? Manifold? Or metered at the carb? Also, is it necessary now to run dual canisters, or could I easily go down to one?

Finally, is there a supplier out there who sells replacement canisters? Dealership says those parts are obsolete and the NAPA only lists universal replacements and expensive ones at that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:23 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Info you need is here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:16 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1967 Dodge Dart 270
I replaced my charcoal filter and purge valve with the parts listed. 86 D150. Works great. No issues at all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:50 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1982 D150 225, 2bbl., 833 OD
I've found that the Standard Motor CP3167 Vapor Canister cited in Dan's excellent evap article doesn't seem to be available anywhere. I did find one left on Amazon Canada from a third party seller. $271. CDN. I'm sure someone has cobbled one up from some other parts.

I'm not in need of one at the moment myself. Way too many other jobs waiting for better weather on my '82 D150.

This has nothing to do with this post, but a big NLA disappointment to me is the discontinuation and zero stock of the Walker 44958 head pipe for the '81 to '83 D150 slants. Sometime back, I had emailed Walker's tech line. I got a reply from Teneco stating that it is gone and no substitutes available. The '84 on models use a shortened headpipe with a "mini ox" pre cat. It looks like that's still available from Davico on Rock auto. Mine's not leaking yet, but it's fairly rusty. I guess it will be custom fabrication or Dutra duals when the time comes.