Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:33 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1968 barracuda slant six 4speed super charged
Newly rebuilt motor.. centrifugal charger.. 7-8psi boost
Head extensively modded
Federl mogul 60 over pistons
Cam spec.. 273 duration 480 lift 114 lobe separation
Should i set the cam at 0? Or advanced.. and if advanced what’s required to set that up
Also ring gap suggestions? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:34 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Cool! I bet you have a Torqstorm, right? I just got one myself and will be putting that together over the next 6-9 months.

Without thinking too much, I'd say degree the cam (search how to degree a cam properly) at 102 intake centerline. You do not want to just install it or you may be off quite a bit due to chain manufacturing and cam grinding errors/tolerances. I will think more about what is the best centerline, but that one should work well.

I would go for wide ring gap. Top two rings should not be below 0.016" and more like 0.018-0.020" (top) and 0.022-0.025" (2nd) would be my preference. The 2nd ring should be about 0.005 wider than the top ring. The oil rings will be wider, like 0.030-0.050".

Lou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:01 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Thanks ror your reply Lou.. I actually didn’t get a toque storm.. was thinking they copied my design.
I got a paxton sn89 for a mustang and modified the braket to bolt on against the water pump useing 3 of the water pumps bolts. I posted pics of it on instagram two years ago and had some people ask me details on what i did.. then I see theis torque storm come out surprisingly like my setup. Lol I doubt im the first to think of it though. Ive been running this set up on a basicly stock engine and it would work well, but only if little demand was put on the fuel system.. so only on short power demands it was fine and helped fuel economy. Now i have a new motor ready and want to make this thing really work.. fuel pump is being upgraded as well as a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and a blow through carb.. just want to make sure the cam and pistons are set up right.

So i need to set the cam lobe at 102 degrees advanced?? I guess i need to read up on how to do that on theses engins and if i need a new timing chain as well? How does that effect ignition timing?
Thanks
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:12 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Paxton Centrifugal Supercharger info

http://www.paxtonauto.com/article.php?id=3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:15 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Yup.. thats the Paxton i have.. mine was never really ran.. and sat in a box most of its life.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:50 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
You can make any timing chain work by drilling out the locator pin hole in the cam gear and getting standard (Chevy) offset bushings. You do not need a new chain, unless it is worn. Interesting about the possible "lifting" of your design. This is not uncommon in the industry, and I have other friends where this has happened. You need to adjust ignition timing after cam installation anyway, so the degreeing of the cam has no effect on that.

Best,
Lou