Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Rocker Shaft Oiling
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:12 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I am not sure I have installed the rocker shaft properly on my 1986 Dodge D150 225 hydraulic lifter engine. I did not see any oiling holes in the shaft when I cleaned it and the rocker arms. How does the oil get from the rear bolt into the rocker shaft and out into the rockers? Did I just miss seeing the holes? Is there just one oil hole or multiple ones? I have the Shop Manual and it does not show any oil holes in the rocker shaft. It does say that the "Rocker arms and FOOL PROOF shaft assembly must be installed so the oil hole is positioned as shown in (Figs. 4 and 37.)" Neither Fig. 4 or 37 indicates an oil hole! I can only assume it does not matter whether the rocker shaft is installed 180 degrees off. I did make sure the front of the shaft was toward the front of the engine and the correct bolt was installed at the rear of the rocker shaft.

Later... I removed the rocker shaft and now see the oiling holes in the side of the rocker shaft that point toward the valve springs. You cannot install the rocker shaft wrong because of the shoulder on the rear bolt will only fit one way in the rocker shaft. Thus the rocker shaft installation is "full proof." Lucky for me. I did discover that I had one of the bolt retainers installed incorrectly. The middle bolt retainer is wider that all the others and failure to install it in the middle location of the rocker shaft will cause the rocker arms to be misaligned with the valve stems. So... as painful as it was to remove and reinstall the rocker shaft, I now feel that it is correctly installed. This is a pretty ingenious way of assuring oil flow to the valve lifters through the push rods, rockers, and rocker shaft.

Last edited by jkotis on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Rocker Shaft Oiling
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:48 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Oil comes up through the block to the head through the rear most special bolt in the rocker shaft. Only one point of entrance for oil into the shaft.

Post subject: Re: Rocker Shaft Oiling
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:43 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
See here for the information you seek:

viewtopic.php?t=46756