Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Fuel Pump Repair Kits
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:15 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I have an electric fuel pump in my car and it's too noisy and draws too many amps. I'm going to reinstall a mechanical fuel pump and and I found a couple of old pumps. They look rebuildable but I can't find any PNs on them - only "Made in Canada". The pump with 2 screws in the cover also has a Motor Parts Division (Chrysler, Plymouth, DeSoto and Dodge) logo.

Any recommendations as to where's the best place to get a repair kit for each?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Repair kits come from this outfit. You will have to do some back-and-forthing with them about it if you can't find ID numbers on the pump (neither of these is the US-production '60-'63 Carter M2996s pump). It may be easiest just to disassemble the pumps and send them the diaphragm/spring assembly, the two valve assemblies, the air dome gasket/diaphragm, and the pivot pin for them to match up. Be very specific with them that you need main diaphragm assemblies with 3–5 pound springs on them; Evan Atkinson had difficulties on that front with them as you can see here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:44 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I tried contacting Then & Now Automotive on Monday as you suggested via their contact page but no-one has yet responded.

It might be more practical to just buy a new fuel pump and rebuild my old ones if I ever get repair kits for them.

NAPA here has quoted me new Carter fuel pump for C$31.33. I see that Rock Auto stocks CARTER M60577, DELPHI MF0018, and AIRTEX 60577.

Any advice about new pumps?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:48 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
New pumps tend to be much poorer quality than we used to be able to get. They no longer have the arm follower spring, and regardless of brand they're usually sourced from countries more notable for trinkets than for reliable auto parts. Get one and install it to get the engine running, by all means, but try phoning Then & Now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:15 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I called Then & Now and shipped my 2 fuel pumps to them to be rebuilt. They came back looking like new and I have a good spare. I got it installed this month during my HEI Upgrade as I wanted the old electric pump to operate during starting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:20 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Repair kits come from this outfit. You will have to do some back-and-forthing with them about it if you can't find ID numbers on the pump (neither of these is the US-production '60-'63 Carter M2996s pump). It may be easiest just to disassemble the pumps and send them the diaphragm/spring assembly, the two valve assemblies, the air dome gasket/diaphragm, and the pivot pin for them to match up. Be very specific with them that you need main diaphragm assemblies with 3–5 pound springs on them; Evan Atkinson had difficulties on that front with them as you can see here.

Hey Dan will the older 60-63 pumps work on a newer 71 slant? It would be nice to spend the money to get one rebuilt so I don't have to worry about it going out every 10,000 miles.