Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:55 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Dodge A100 sportsman
Hi all,
This is my first post on the forum.
I live in the UK and i have just bought a 1965 A100 sportsman van from Arizona.
The van came with an engine that was strapped in the back and not fitted as the original engine was no good.
The transmission is a 3 on the tree that i can only assume is original.
The casting number on the engine block is 2806830-2, i believe this is from a 68-70 van.
My question is, is this likely to be compatible with the gearbox? and is there a way of dating the gearbox.
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:30 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Welcome aboard!

All slant six engines will bolt to all slant 6 transmission bell housings. The bell housing must be correct to accept the transmission used. The only trouble in fitting a 1968 or newer engine to an older vehicle is that the crankshaft is somewhat different. There is a centering ring on the back of the crankshaft. That ring and the hole inside it were enlarged for the 1968 model year. If the newer engine has a flywheel installed you should have everything you need. Otherwise you will need to obtain a newer flywheel or have your existing flywheel machined to fit the later crankshaft.

You will also likely need to swap the oil pan, oil pickup tube and possibly the dipstick and tube from the old engine to the replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:14 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Dodge A100 sportsman
Thanks.
I don't have the original engine so i don't have the parts you suggest swapping out. Why do i need to swap these parts?

I am also considering swap to a auto box in place of the 3 speed. Which box would be a good swap if i went this route?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:31 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
32dooscoop wrote:
Thanks.
I don't have the original engine so i don't have the parts you suggest swapping out. Why do i need to swap these parts?

I am also considering swap to a auto box in place of the 3 speed. Which box would be a good swap if i went this route?

If you don't have a front sump oil pan and pickup tube you'll need them for the engine to fit the chassis.

The automatics used in these vans are somewhat rare as they used a top mount (suspended) rather than a bottom mount (supported). They also used the V8 transmission with an adapter plate that is coveted for putting later model transmissions behind the slant six and is therefore a bit hard to come up with and may be expensive. The A904 passenger car automatic (also used in late slant six pickups) is more than up to the task, but the rear mount will have to be fabricated.