Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Distributor Dilema
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:41 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1982 D150 /6 AT, PS, MB Regular Cab
Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile. I am familiar with older Mopars but am new to the /6. I recently acquired a 1982 D150 /6, a/t, with the dreaded Lean Burn ESC system. I'm removing the ESC apparatus because I don't feel like dealing with it and half of the sensors are broken/missing. I believe in simple. Traditional carb/electronic distributor seems to be the best way to go. My goal for the truck is to get it running properly and use it as a secondary vehicle/general stuff hauler. It doesn't need to be fast or particularly efficient just reliable.

Here is my question: I need to buy a vacuum distributor and there seems to be a dizzying array of them (pun intended). What part number, model number, or application would you all recommend? I plan on doing the HEI conversion at the same time.
I am looking at a Cardone reman # 30-3690 on fleabay. Not a huge fan of Cardone stuff but sometimes you get one that works the first time.
Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Distributor Dilema
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:22 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Just say no to Cardone....

The quality is just not all that great....and not worth the money...

You can find them from Old Car Parts Northwest on Ebay as well...or you can contact them directly in Washington...that would get you an OEM one.
getting one with the last 3 digits of the part number being 598 or 714 would be a good start... there aren't many 3874876 units left (but that would be
a good catch).

If that option fails, get on Rockauto.com and get an Autoline D-619... these are remans out of Canada, I bought 3 a while back and they are of better quality
than the Cardone unit, and the three I got were all setup as correct super six distributors (governors, springs, and the vacuum pod)...(so that was a real bonus).

You will still need to determine the governor slot size and vacc advance since it is a reman to determine the curve and best initial settings, but at least it is
a reman I could trust.

Unfortunately my Sun machine bit the dust and I can no longer offer to recurve one custom to your vehicle's specifications, so the options noted above are your best choices.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:35 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
HEI upgrade with a new distributor from Old Car Parts NW as described in the linked article.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:15 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Thanks for the info! I generally avoid Cardone at all costs or I buy three of them and hope one works.
I was looking at OCPN on fleabay but they are on vacation until mid-March and I'd like to get on it ASAP. I'll call them and see if that actually is the case. I'll keep it updated. The D150 has a laundry list of small stuff that needs to be fixed since it has been sitting for 8 or 9 years. It currently runs enough to move it around my yard so I suppose the LB conversion doesn't need to be done immediately.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:08 am 

Car Model:
MrFusion wrote:
Thanks for the info! I generally avoid Cardone at all costs

That's smart; their stuff is junk.

Quote:
I was looking at OCPN on fleabay but they are on vacation until mid-March and I'd like to get on it ASAP. I'll call them and see if that actually is the case.

Always best to call them on the phone.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:04 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

SSD I've read through your HEI article several times (before I joined actually). Very well done and I'm accumulating the parts. I may run to the JY today for a GM coil and bracket.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:51 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

DusterIdiot wrote:
Just say no to Cardone....

The quality is just not all that great....and not worth the money...

You can find them from Old Car Parts Northwest on Ebay as well...or you can contact them directly in Washington...that would get you an OEM one.
getting one with the last 3 digits of the part number being 598 or 714 would be a good start... there aren't many 3874876 units left (but that would be
a good catch).

If that option fails, get on Rockauto.com and get an Autoline D-619... these are remans out of Canada, I bought 3 a while back and they are of better quality
than the Cardone unit, and the three I got were all setup as correct super six distributors (governors, springs, and the vacuum pod)...(so that was a real bonus).

You will still need to determine the governor slot size and vacc advance since it is a reman to determine the curve and best initial settings, but at least it is
a reman I could trust.

Unfortunately my Sun machine bit the dust and I can no longer offer to recurve one custom to your vehicle's specifications, so the options noted above are your best choices.

I'm not familiar with the part highlighted in red. Where can I learn more?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:30 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 65 Dart, 225, 4 spd od, hyd clutch, BBD, 2 1/4 exh
"I'm not familiar with the part highlighted in red. Where can I learn more?"

Start with the following link: page two identifies the distributor govenor and it's location/removal:

http://www.dutra.org/doug/draft-webpage ... ibutor.htm

There are slots in the govenor; the length of the slots determine how much centifugal advance can occur.
(WHEN (as a function of rpm) it can occur is a function of the springs attached to the weights below the govenor)

Look at your govenor and see if you can find a number stamped into the govenor.
If you find a number like 6.5 for example then your govenor is capable of allowing twice that amount or 13 degrees of centrifugal advance.
A low number like 6.5 means you would have a short slot in the govenor.

1965 Dart 110k, 225, Carter BBD Super Six, 2 1/4 single exh., sbp manual scarebird front disc, 7 1/4 rear 2.94 sure grip, 14 x 4.5 OEM wheels, 833 OD with hyd. throwout bearing, HEI, electric fan, ram air/heated air, Accusump. http://plymouthcarclub.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:54 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Thanks! Truth be told it's been a loooong time since I have fooled with a non-EFI engine bigger than a riding mower.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:07 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1984 Ram D150
SlantSixDan wrote:
MrFusion wrote:
Thanks for the info! I generally avoid Cardone at all costs

That's smart; their stuff is junk.

Quote:
I was looking at OCPN on fleabay but they are on vacation until mid-March and I'd like to get on it ASAP. I'll call them and see if that actually is the case.

Always best to call them on the phone.

Looks like the old number available through the 2008 thread is out of date.
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30621
Quote:
Old Car Parts Northwest
1120 SW 16th St. #7
Renton, WA 98057
tel 206-300-1083
ocpnwi@gmail.com

The new info is at http://ocpnw.com/contact.aspx
Quote:
We're located at:
1120 SW 16th St Ste 7,
Renton, Wa. 98031
Phone :425-572-0764
Email: ray@ocpnw.com

Problem is, no one answers the phone and the voicemail box is full.
Hate it when that happens.
I was going to try to rectify my *mistake* of ordering a Cardone distributor after not finding one on the OCPN website the other day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:38 pm 

Car Model:
TenTea wrote:
they are on vacation until mid-March
and then TenTea wrote:

I'm lookin' at the calendar and noticing we have another week to go before mid-March.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:18 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

SlantSixDan wrote:
TenTea wrote:
they are on vacation until mid-March
and then TenTea wrote:

I'm lookin' at the calendar and noticing we have another week to go before mid-March.

Member McFusion wrote about their vacation, not me...lol.

Yeah, I won't argue the point. I may be coming down with spring fever!

They list one scrungy old (new) OEM unit on eBay as their *last one*...maybe it really is at this late date.

Can anyone tell me the differences between the non-Chinese reman Cardone units and the reman Rock Auto
Autoline D619?
Why is the Autoline better than the Cardone?
Thanks for any input.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:00 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Here you go: CLICK ME. A NOS MOPAR slant six distirbutor from Old Car parts Northwest. On sale now for $107 plus shipping. Can't beat that deal with a stick.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:38 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Reed wrote:
Here you go: CLICK ME. A NOS MOPAR slant six distirbutor from Old Car parts Northwest. On sale now for $107 plus shipping. Can't beat that deal with a stick.

I appreciate the link.

I saw that earlier and described it in my post above as scrungy.

Teeth look chipped, missing o-ring, buggered bracket, dried out, oxidized, rusty....I know those things can be remedied and I don't require perfection, but...

Maybe I'm too fussy. :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:01 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Can anyone tell me the differences between the non-Chinese reman Cardone units and the reman Rock Auto
Autoline D619? Why is the Autoline better than the Cardone?

The 3 that I had ordered for autopsies had the following differences...

1) The cast body was much nicer quality than the cardone...and you don't have to file the outer rim to get a dizzy cap to fit on it.
2) It came with O-rings on the lower shaft housing (I've had a couple Cardones years back that came with none...
3) The 3 I got all were super six L9 governor units (not sure how long that would last or if I just reallly got lucky).
4) Shaft tolerances were good, and the gear wasn't shimmed with 2-3 washers or had 2 washers worth of end play.
5) The springs matched the governor (a real super six set).
6) Two of the units came with a new vacuum pod that was correct for the 4876 OEM super six vacuum pod with an 11x arm. One unit came with what seemed to be
a vacc pod that was similar to the SMP VC-239 new run with the 8.5x arm...

The only complaints I did have were: they use a metric torx screw for the vac pod and plate... and they peened the gear roll pin with an awl and
it can't be removed without drilling it out or destroying the gear and cutting then ends off...

Out of the box I ran them up when my Sun machine functioned and they were pretty close to the stock curve... unlike the Cardone "what springs, governor, and vacc advance did I get????"