Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:08 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1963 Plymouth Valiant Signet 200
Hi Everyone!
I am new to slant sixes, just having received a 1963 Valiant 200 Signet Convertible as a gift from my wife. It has the 225 engine with a one-barrel Holley Model 1920 carburetor. The carburetor appears to leak around the acceleration pump, and the car does have issues with hesitation on acceleration from idle, more so when it is hot. I have considering getting a rebuild kit, but not sure what to do. The list number on the carb is 3054. Mike's Carburetor site (carburetor-parts.com) lists a rebuild kit for that list #, but he says it was for a late 1964 Valiant 170 engine. There are websites that list Holley carb specs, but they don't even have that list # on them. The mymopar.com site lists the R-2418, 19, or R-2500 for the 63 Valiant 225, and also does not even list the 3054 application at all. To complicate matters, the Mike's Carburetor site states that the plastic float for the 1920 is no longer made, so if the float has leaked, I don't think I can get a new one. Not sure what to do, but I am not an experienced mechanic, just an amateur from my teenage years, which were a long time ago. I would like to just get the engine running smooth as easily as possible and drive it. Not really interested in having to set up for a different make and model carb, or a different intake manifold. (The guy we bought it from had ordered a Carter for it, but it did not fit, so he sent it back, would need mods to install it.)

1. Is it worth trying to rebuild the carb I have, knowing that I can't get a new float for it if it is needed?
2. Should I be concerned that Mikes Carburetor website says the 3054 is for a 170 engine, not the 225?
3. Does anyone know where to find out the specs for this? I am wondering if the carb is for a 170 engine, will it have smaller jets, etc (or whatever the proper terminology is), so maybe I shouldn't use it anyway? How important is matching the List# for a replacement carb?
4. If the answer is to not rebuild it, any idea where to get a 1 barrell 2418, 2419, or 2500, as suggested by mymopar.com?

This is getting confusing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You very much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:43 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I can't help with most of your questions, but hesitation coming off idle could be caused by a bad accelerator pump. Since it's already leaking, I'd recommend just replacing the pump diaphragm and seeing if that helps. That should be an easy job that doesn't require disassembling anything but the pump housing. There are a few different pump diaphragms for the 1920, but Mike's Carb says AP287 is correct for your list number, and they have it in stock for $15.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:31 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1963 Plymouth Valiant Signet 200
SpaceFrank,

Thank you very much for the suggestion and the part #. For some reason, I had not considered that I could just replace the accelerator pump without rebuilding the whole carb. I may just try that, nothing to lose, that is for sure.