Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 1 barrel vs 2 barrel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:29 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1985 Dodge D100
I recently purchased a 1985 D100 with slant 6, 84300 kilometers. It has the one barrel carb. It has poor oil pressure, sat for 27 years, and the person who I bought from just put in a battery and poured gas down the carb. It started, made some noises he could not describe,likely explains the poor pressure.
My question is: I have a 2 barrel intake with a 2 barrel carb off another vehicle, runs just fine, but the vehicle is destroyed in an accident. The engine and transmission of 1985 truck are coming out tommorow to be disassembled and what ever needs done will be. I would like to know if going the 2 barrel is worth it. Have to buy new transmission linkage, throttle cable and maybe choke.
Appreciate input.

Post subject: Re: 1 barrel vs 2 barrel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:30 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1973 pymouth scamp 225
In my opinion-

The two barrel would be worth it, if the motor is healthy. WITH THAT BEING SAID.... your time and energy and money would be better spent diagnosing the poor oil pressure. First things first, get the factory service manual at least. If it sat for 27 years :shock: you really want to clean up the inside of the engine. Slantsixdan has a “soup” recipe for just this type of situation, use the search function. Also a wet and dry compression test and vacuum gauge readings will give you a much better idea of how healthy the motor actually is internally. Many members (myself included) feel it is better to get the current setup running as well as possible before making a big change, ie going from a single to a double barrel carb. That way you establish a good baseline for the motor. This forum is a great resource if you are new to the leaning tower of power. viewtopic.php?p=138010&highlight=#138010 this is a good place to start if all this is new to you.

Good luck and happy slanting!

-Josh

Post subject: Re: 1 barrel vs 2 barrel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:08 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
Do a search on oil pressure relief valve and spring, as they can gum up and reduce oil pressure... before pulling the whole motor out or apart, as they are known to stick open on occasion!!!

Also
There are cheaper ways to get a 2bbl than this following story suggests, but it does illustrate the gains a 2bbl carb offers with an optimized ignition, and good exhaust. So yes your 2bbl manifold is worth having!!!

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/making- ... se-part-2/