Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Extra Life
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:34 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1971 Dodge Dart GT
What recommendations would anyone have on bringing a little more life out of my 225 slant 6? My thoughts (Could be really far gone) are 4 barrel intake, headers, and wasn't sure if putting a different Cam in would give me what I am wanting. I'm not looking to turn 13's in a quarter I want something lively to drive around that sounds good doing it. I just traded an early 49 plymouth for this 71 dart gt and an additional engine 360 SB with a 727 trans however there are no heads on the block. I almost thought about dropping that in however I'm not a purest but I like the slant 6 and the originality in the car. If any of that makes sense. I know this is where the knowledge is and I would like to absorb some of it please.

Post subject: Re: Extra Life
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:28 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
bringing a little more life out of my 225 slant 6?

I am assuming you want more power? Not a longer life?

If so, you won't see much of the benefit of a 4 barrel and headers without a cam change, some bowl porting and a bump in compression by planing the head. You can wake up the Slant 6 and still maintain good gas mileage (better than stock) with the right combination. What is the budget you have to work with? Automatic or manual? Gear ratio?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:47 am 
1 BBL (New)

I am keeping the stock rear end and the transmission (Automatic) I was thinking I would put a cam in it not sure what size to go with along with a 4 barrel or 2 barrel and headers for better sound again not looking to drag race which is why I wasn't going to touch the gears but if I have the engine out I might go ahead and plane the head also. My budget is minimal at this time as long as I prefer to stay married.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:24 am 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
Do a complete tune-up, including a valve lash adjustment to see if that work gets you more performance.
As and FYI, correct valve lash and proper (fast) ignition timing ( including a functioning vacuum advance) really "wakes-up" SL6 engine performance.
DD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:32 am 
1 BBL (New)

Thanks for that tip I will be doing that for sure I am also going to add a set of headers and a new intake and carb so that it can breathe better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:58 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Opening up the exhaust will help, but headers may be more trouble than they're worth for a street motor. Dutra duals or some other dual exhaust that maintains the intake manifold heating would probably give you less headaches and more driveability. A single 2.25" pipe off your stock manifold is actually a noticeable improvement. On the intake side, a two-barrel "super six" manifold and matching carb will add some power as well, but going to a 4 barrel or even a large 2 barrel isn't going to do anything but kill your gas mileage unless you do some work to the cylinder head.

The cylinder head is the main restriction on these engines. Bigger valves and bowl/port work is what you need to focus on if you want to wake it up even more than the above. Shaving the head to increase static compression ratio (SCR) is a good idea regardless, but the amount you cut off will be dependent on how crazy you want to go. Your camshaft should be the last decision you make, based on what else you've done to the engine (particularly your final SCR).

All that said, Doc's advice above is the best you've gotten so far. Make sure everything you have now is in good working order before you decide what you want to change. You might be surprised how much livelier the engine runs with good valve lash settings and a distributor recurve. Keep asking questions!