Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:17 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1983 Dodge D150 slant six 4 speed OD
So I did the HEI swap and did the distributor swap where I marked the rotor where I thought it was on the old and then reinstall it the same way and I spent some time yesterday trying to start it but nothing. I then checked all the electrical hook up to make sure everything was getting power and discovered the coil wasn’t getting power so then I fixed that and now everything is getting spark. So then I figured maybe it was one tooth off on the distributor so I’ve been messing with that advancing it one tooth at a time and restarting and then rotating it again and then the battery died last night so I quit and I kinda thought the motor was probably flooded at that point. After sitting all night, I was able to finally get it started and it ran extremely rough so I thought that maybe it was still one tooth off so I advanced one tooth and then nothing so then I tried to rotate it back, and nothing again. And since then, I can’t seem to get it fire up before the battery dies or the engine floods. I also pulled the spark plugs and off course they were all fouled up so I swapped them Back to the old ones just to try and get it to start and still nothing. At this point, should I just get the motor to TDC and start from scratch or just Keep pulling the distributor and rotating the rotor one tooth until I get it again? I got all excited when the damn thing finally started and made me feel confident that it’s getting spark like it should, but now I can’t seem to get it going again. Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:35 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
I might suggest you back up to square one. Get the engine to TDC, cylinder #1, with both valves closed, and the timing mark lined up. Pull the distributor and re-seat properly. Double check your wiring, especially the grounding for the HEI. Clean the plugs if possible, check your rotor and cap, and the spark plug wiring sequence, (1-5-3-6-2-4), then give it another go.

Roger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:54 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
Roger Covered it really well. Keep at it, and keep asking questions if you are not getting results.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:02 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

GTS225 wrote:
I might suggest you back up to square one. Get the engine to TDC, cylinder #1, with both valves closed, and the timing mark lined up. Pull the distributor and re-seat properly. Double check your wiring, especially the grounding for the HEI. Clean the plugs if possible, check your rotor and cap, and the spark plug wiring sequence, (1-5-3-6-2-4), then give it another go.

Roger

Thanks roger! That’s what my plan is this weekend. Just start over. I double checked all the wiring and it seems correct. Like I said, something’s working because it DID start one time but ran rough. So it’s at least getting spark. Has to be that the timing is off. How would you know if those distributor wires are switch on the HEI module? I Hooked it up just the like HEI how to showed, but I supposed those wires could still be swapped.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:41 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
The plug on a Mopar EIS distributor has a male and a female connector. The male pin goes to the "W" terminal on the module.

You can see my HEI upgrade here: HEI Ignition Upgrade

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:32 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Yes swap the wires. If they are backwards they will run but will run rough.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:45 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Alright, thanks for all the help guys! I bought a piston stop to set TDC to make the harmonic balancer hasn’t slipped after all these years while I’m at it and I’ll get the distributor set up at TDC and then try it again and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:36 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Set everything to TDC and got it all hooked back up and it finally fired up tonight! I was so excited! Idles better then it’s ever idled along with the electric choke conversion per Dans recommendation that I installed as well. Now, just awaiting the Dutra duals I have on order from Australia so I can get this exhaust leak at the at the manifold and the rust out hole in the pipe from the smog pump replaced with a brand new exhaust and this truck should be ready to drive again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:19 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Last question: is it ok to wrap the wires in weatherproof electric tape like it was from the factory or should I invest in some wire loom?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:47 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
After reworking my wiring harness, I rewrapped the wiring in electrical tape so as to look somewhat factory. Where it looked like there might be some wear, I encased the wire in split loom. It's your car: do what you think is best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:53 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1975 Dodge D100
Recently, while gathering materials to complete my HEI conversion, I found that the non-sticky vinyl harness tape just like the manufacturers used is available. It makes it a lot nicer if and when you have to re-do anything.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:14 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

and739 wrote:
Recently, while gathering materials to complete my HEI conversion, I found that the non-sticky vinyl harness tape just like the manufacturers used is available. It makes it a lot nicer if and when you have to re-do anything.

Not a bad thought! I actually just wrapped up everything in the heavy duty 3M electrical tape and I have some braided electrical loom on order for the high wear areas but it works and it keeps everything together so far. I wish I had thought about that before I went a full roll of electric tape haha