Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:17 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1929 Dodge Roadster
Hello everyone, I'm sure the exhaust options question has been beaten like a dead horse but just looking for some input since a lot of the options people talk about are on full bodied cars. I have a 1929 roadster i'm looking to change the exhaust to a striahgt pipe similar to pre war race cars like the ones on this page https://revsinstitute.org/news/elegance ... -prix-car/ The plan is to make the car have the look of an old race car so the pipe will run along the ide of the body with heat shields down the drivers side. Currently the engine is a stock 1969 225 with single barrel carb. In the future i would like to do some performance mods such as a 2bbl intake and a cam maybe some head work too to raise compression. As for the exhaust the previous owner has the exhaust coming straight up like a tractor from the stock manifold and it looks goofy. It currently is about a 2" pipe and has no baffle or muffler but runs well and is not too loud for me, sounds really great too. I have looked into the Dutra Duals but can't find where to actually buy them I guess I email Doug directly. If i run the Dutra Dual hearders and have them go to a y pipe would a 3" pipe with no baffle be too free flowing? I know some engines run better with some back pressure but am not too familar with the slant six but ready to learn!

Thanks for your opinions let me know if you have any other questions.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:20 am 
TBI Slant 6

If you scroll down this older thread i started you can see a picture of the car. Its not a great photo but gives you an idea of what it is. I have a hard time uploading photos to this site.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=62612

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:12 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Dual Dutra’s are available through AussieSpeed. AS has some distributors located on the US.
Dutra’s are nice, but they are also very-very heavy and comprise only the first few inches of the exhaust system, so even after forking out big money money for the Dutra’s, you are no where close to a complete exhaust system.

If you are looking for something old school, I would look around for a used set of Clifford’s or Hookers and then wrap them in header tape.
There is a rusty what looks to be a Mopar six into one slant six header for sale for cheap in at the site linked

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/th ... 1972280382

if only the header flange is useable, you could have a 6 in to 1 long tube, roadster style header built,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:50 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Yea $500 is pretty expensive for the dutras from aussie speed and that doesn't include shipping. Unfortunately that header is a little far from me and i doubt he would ship it. I'll have to look into the cost of having a set of headers made. The below site sells the header flange for $45. Depending on how much room I have I may just run 2 pipes all the way back from the split headers if i run 2 3into1 headers. If I end up going the make my own route I will look back in an old Hot Rod magazine I have from the 60s that features Pete McNichol's Willys that he raced with a slant 6.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:48 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I like the way you are thinking,,
attached is a view of an inline 8
probably 2 exhaust valves per cylinder,

but anyway, see the look,
do 1/2 of that header.
6 into one long tube, real old school,
some may argue that you will give up performance

but this is a situation where
function follows form.

Attachments:
inline 12.png
inline 12.png [ 69.34 KiB | Viewed 5853 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:24 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
DadTruck wrote:
I like the way you are thinking,,
attached is a view of an inline 8
probably 2 exhaust valves per cylinder,

but anyway, see the look,
do 1/2 of that header.
6 into one long tube, real old school,
some may argue that you will give up performance

but this is a situation where
function follows form.

I like it, it suites that type of car.If you used an appropriate sized cone to join the three primary pipes to then you would have an increase in collector diameter at each primary then end with a straight tube. http://www.coneeng.com/ has all the components.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:23 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: Toad Wagon
Here's a cheap & quick alternative using a stock exhaust manifold. My frame rails're high, so if using this style you may prefer to exit above your rails if they're lower.

I've capped my heat box, but if you're using a production style intake manifold you could keep that feature as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:13 am 
TBI Slant 6

Thanks for the input yall!

Eventually i'd like to make something like Dadtruck posted but for now i will probably just use the stock manifold similar to Old6rodder