Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:11 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MoPar-ALUMINUM ... rk:21:pf:0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:37 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Dang! Going to take a slanter with deep pockets to get that bad boy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:40 pm 
Turbo EFI

...and even more money to repair it properly....

I noticed the studs look to have silver paint on them, was wondering if it was a hoax...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:18 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Look in the Valve cover post just above yours for more details. :D

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=63088

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:12 am 
Turbo EFI

Ahh, yes, I see...

One could assemble an all aluminum long block then, with some dough and patience...

b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:20 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
The guy with the alloy motor Doug Dutra and Steve Magnate built is trying to get $35K out of it in a 2 door body now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:26 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
I am amazed at the money people are asking for "rare" SL6 stuff these days...
DD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:46 pm 

I believe asking and getting are worlds apart though. There's actually been some really good deals on original Hyper Pak stuff floating to the surface in the last couple years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:37 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I know there has been a lot of discussion pertaining to the aluminum head, but I'd still like to know how difficult or whats the feasibility of making these in the aftermarket. Wouldn't the cars benefit from the weight reduction of the aluminum head. Porting polishing would be easier, right?. I'm not versed in the heat dynamics but it worked well ( aluminum head/iron block combo) for the 2.2l and 2.5l 4 cylinders etc...anyway, if I had the money I would buy this cylinder head.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:05 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Valleyant wrote:
I know there has been a lot of discussion pertaining to the aluminum head, but I'd still like to know how difficult or whats the feasibility of making these in the aftermarket. Wouldn't the cars benefit from the weight reduction of the aluminum head. Porting polishing would be easier, right?. I'm not versed in the heat dynamics but it worked well ( aluminum head/iron block combo) for the 2.2l and 2.5l 4 cylinders etc...anyway, if I had the money I would buy this cylinder head.

The problem with making alloy slant six heads has nothing to do with the difficulty. It just comes down to economics. There is a large investment required to design the head and the related casting molds. That up front investment has to be balanced against how many could be sold in a reasonable time to recoup the costs and turn enough profit to make the project worth doing. So far, the folks who have experience casting alloy cylinder heads have concluded it does not pencil out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:38 am 

Car Model:
Basically, it's going to take $40-50k to get a design worked out and into production. Who wants to kick in $10k to get this ball rolling? Most Slant sixers are low buck... Or, how many would buy a head for $3k?

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:27 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dart270 wrote:
Basically, it's going to take $40-50k to get a design worked out and into production. Who wants to kick in $10k to get this ball rolling? Most Slant sixers are low buck... Or, how many would buy a head for $3k?

Lou

I would accept part of the risk with a $10K buy in.The head in question, would offset that very nicely. :D

The part i don't get, with the millions of slants produced, and likely a fair number still operational, and all the advantages of a even slightly updated alum head, I don't get it how say, a Chevy 409 head ( how many of those were built and still running?) is economically feasible, but a slant is not, Same applies to to the AMC motors alum heads.

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-stor ... edelbrock/

https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-jee ... 50169.html

https://www.edelbrock.com/rpm-amc-jeep- ... 60119.html

Biggest hurdle, and I'll say this delicately biting my tongue, the slant crowd is as a whole, seems to be a group adverse to risk taking.

Last edited by jcc on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:37 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
jcc wrote:
Dart270 wrote:

Lou

I would accept part of the risk with a $10K buy in.The head in question, would offset that very nicely. :D

The part i don't get, with the millions of slants produced, and likely a fair number still operational, and all the advantages of a even slightly updated alum head, I don't get it how say, a Chevy 409 head ( how many of those were built and still running?) is economically feasible, but a slant is not, Same applies to to the AMC motors alum heads.

Biggest hurdle, and I'll say this delicately biting my tongue, the slant crowd is as a whole, seems to be a group adverse to risk taking.

Go figure man. There is an aluminum small ford six head available. That engine has been out of production for some time as well.
It is an improved design that uses a non-integral intake manifold and improved ports and such.
https://www.vintageinlines.com/product- ... ad-package
Could the same be done for the slant? Yes. Will it be done? Not holding my breath.
I think in this case you are looking at the difference in popularity of Mustangs Vs. Valiant, Dart, Barracuda, Etc. Mustang vendors abound.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 am 

An alloy head has been planned many times. The problem is you can not get 3 people to agree what it needs to be and put up money.

For it to be any kind of real improvement you would also need to design a matching intake and exhaust, and that adds more money. Plus, if it doesn't look like normal Slant parts people will lose their minds. (That's just a Mopar thing though, the big and small block guys are worse yet)

In reality, what are you going to actually gain? If you make it outflow what an iron head can be made to you're still stuck with a small bore block to put it on. Weight savings? You gonna pay $3000+ for 35 pounds? Jenny Craig is a much better deal. Ease of repair? Yes, but again, $3000+ for a head that will still need ported anyway?

I've said it many times, if you think we need an alloy head for a Slant step out of the world of "I wish" and pony up to build it. Right here in this thread is a chance to own an alloy head, and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:30 am 

Car Model:
All valid points made above. Everyone has their own risk-reward tolerance, and budget. Yes, Slant folks are not generally in the "risk/dedicate money category." 409 people and BB and SB Mopar people have much deeper pockets (and/or are willing to spend).

I will go out on a limb and ask how many people would put up $10,000 toward design and prototyping and give up most control over the final parameters (except for three: bolts to stock block and int/exh, weighs less, and flows >25% better than a stock head).

1) Madsen
2) Mr. X (another person I already know is in)
3)
4)
5)

Feel free to PM me and I'll put you down as Mr./Ms. Y, etc...

Lou