Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:34 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Back in the day....I bought plenty of sets of Direct Connection 'hi-strength' rod bolts and put them in rods (440) without resizing the rod. Never had any issue. I wouldn't do that now, because 1) I doubt I'd ever use stock rods again and 2) it's not expensive getting rods resized. But back then, you didn't spend any money you didn't have to.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:37 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
GregCon wrote:
It's not a big deal grinding them.

Since you brought it up:

1. To you
2. I wonder what ARP's position would be
3. Curious how any grinding on this rod bolt effects heat treatment, as it appears little thought here has been given to heat treatment varying from surface to the core.
4. No consideration yet mentioned of the preferred orientation of the grinding marks/direction
5. No mention of attempting to polish out the thousands of minute potential stress risers left from the grinding
6. No mention of any loss of ARP protective coating to maybe prevent hydrogen embrittlement from any possible moisture contamination
7. No mention of the grinding technique, to insure no localized over heating of the parent metal and resultant loss of local heat treat
8. No weighing in on a rod bolt is effectively a NON REDUNDANT fastener
9. No weighing in on any rod bolt failure is likely catastrophic
10. No weighing in on that a rod bod bolt is highly stressed
11. No weighing in on that rod bolt is loaded repeatedly and cyclically, both fertile environments for fatigue failure.
12. Wonder if ARP knows they included extraneous/sacrificial metal on these bolts that is not part of normal design criteria. likely being low eight, strength, and fatigue resistance
13. Hope an overage of acceptable number of fancy words were not included here
14. Hope those that think this is a BMW/Porsche/etc level discussion can still partake
15. And then this comes to mind:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:17 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Let's keep this discussion to the practicalities of rod bolts here. If personal attacks start to enter, then we have a problem.

Rarely have I ever bought an aftermarket car part that did not need massaging (AKA, care in installation) to fit a Slant 6 or A-body. Maybe I just like to massage things and double check everything myself, but I believe this is one good way to minimize failures.

Thank you,

Lou