Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:06 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
I did a few searches on the web. I found a reference to "200" kits were produced. I found a reference to a "Few" hundred were produced and then someone referenced Nascar requiring 500 kits to be produced. That last 500 reference seems crazy to me. I will see if I can find that 500 reference again. I think the WPC Club posting with the pictures labeled 1961 Lancer Manifolds is odd.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:02 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Okay, so I dropped of my HyperPak exhaust manifolds in Australia with Mark at AussieSpeed. He is looking at taking over the project. In the end I think he is better set up to bring these to market cost effectively.

I also left a Mopar big block turbo manifold. I hope he can bring these to fruition

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:58 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
Michael,

That is wonderful news. Here's hoping Aussie Speed does a great job with those. I will buy a set if they produce them.

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:12 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Well if they are making Dutra Duels and Hyper Pak manifolds, I wonder what they will price them at. And they will have 2 of the same general products. I guess we will see.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:57 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
hyper_pak wrote:
Well if they are making Dutra Duels and Hyper Pak manifolds, I wonder what they will price them at. And they will have 2 of the same general products. I guess we will see.

I did not realize they were making the Hyper Pak Manifold, Is it in addition to the long runner 4 Barrel carb manifold they are making?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:10 pm 
Turbo EFI

We don't know if they are making them yet, but one of our members generously submitted his golden treasures to them for consideration. Given what I've seen from Aussie Speed, I would surmise they can't pass up the chance to offer these to the Aussie market where the slant six is still venerated (as it is in our community). Personally, I think it is the best chance we have to get the hyperpak's made.

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:32 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Jase wrote:
hyper_pak wrote:

I did not realize they were making the Hyper Pak Manifold, Is it in addition to the long runner 4 Barrel carb manifold they are making?

I was saying they are looking at making the Hyper Pak Exhaust manifolds, not the intakes. I would guess if Mike left them his exhaust manifolds, then they would be considering making them also. Mike's manifolds were angle milled on the head flange for some reason. I don't know why someone would want to angle them further down. They would not fit to the Hyper Pak intake manifold with that mill angle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 am 
Turbo EFI

Interesting, I would think if they decide to reproduce them, they wouldn't include that modification as it was for some special purpose, i.e. they'd want the manifolds to work with OEM intake manifold flanges.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:22 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I did a big test with a set of OEM hyperpak exh manifolds (and Argentinian exh man) and several intakes a few years back. They cleared Offy 4V, Offy 2X1, Clifford 4V, Clifford weber, hpak, and several others. Not sure we bothered to try a stock 1bbl or 2bbl intake, but should be fine if they clear the Offy. Also were fine with Charlie's AC bracket (similar to Classic Auto Air).

See pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16910097@ ... 8525957101

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:51 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

I think correcting the flange mill would be easy. However I have no experience casting steel. But with the angle mill they aren't going to fit many applications, if any. I hope if they do reproduce them, I hope they produce an exhaust pipe system. I don't think the one I built will fit a 225 engine.

Attachments:
Pipe Small.JPG
Pipe Small.JPG [ 68.59 KiB | Viewed 5816 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:03 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Yes, someone resurfaced the rear manifold at an angle. I'm sure they were trying to gain clearance over the starter. As a result of it being thin at the top, the through hole for the rearmost head stud broke the ear off. I discussed this all when I visited Mark so he knows to address it. I'm not sure if he has started on any of this. I don't want to pressure him as it is now his project.

Hey Lou, I just bought my Lyricon I back after 30 years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:05 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Is that the factory collector pipe ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:06 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
The HyperPak manifolds are cool due to their heritage....but for most people a 'modern' set of pipes would make a lot more sense, and not require any castings.

For the $600+ I see being charged for iron manifolds, it seems a nice set of SS headers could be made. They'd presumably make as much power, or more, and be lighter. I don't mean 'headers' like the ones that are currently sold, but something more like a production manifold/header that you see on a lot of cars. Or even a 'shorty' type header. This is a set for a BMW 6 cyl but the concept is the same.

So....are the iron manifolds being pursued for the 'legacy' factor or?

Attachments:
bmw header.jpg
bmw header.jpg [ 107.53 KiB | Viewed 5809 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:28 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I don't consider myself qualified to speculate on why others might buy them or at what price. I built a stainless set of headers as well as a stainless turbo manifold and they look great. While I am not a fabrication whiz, the time/fitting/headache factor significant. For myself, the appeal is to have a durable upgrade, less prone to cracking than the stock exhaust manifold. Increased performance and a factory iconic part.

So what factors would make someone want to purchase a set ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:29 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
So what factors would make someone want to purchase a set ?

They were / are extremely rare,which makes them desirable. They fit really nice, and have nearly the same performance as headers in builds up to a car running at least 14's. We have near bolt in starters now that give plenty of room for them to fit. And yes they are just cool looking. I think most of all it is their rarity.

As I said before, I have a list of 20+ people (maybe 30 sets) who wanted them from when I was going to try and do them. I hope this comes to pass. It is a really neat piece of history.